August 11, 2016 09:16PM
Rams QB Jared Goff will start exhibition on bench
By RICH HAMMOND / STAFF WRITER

[www.ocregister.com]

IRVINE – Jared Goff gazed toward the east – the direction from which the sun “rises” – and pondered the question. When was the last time he didn’t start a game?

“In football?” Goff finally said, and that essentially answered the question.

It’s been a while, but this is a time for Goff and his Rams teammates to adjust to new turf. They’ll play their preseason opener against Dallas on Saturday evening, before a crowd that could number 90,000. It’s the latest “Welcome to L.A.” moment for the Rams, who have had a couple this week.

Goff won’t start at quarterback against the Cowboys – Case Keenum will – but is expected to play a significant portion of the game. No matter how much it is, it will be closely scrutinized.

That’s life for Goff these days. His appearance on this week’s premier of the HBO documentary series “Hard Knocks” inspired ribbing after Goff was captured not knowing the sun rose in the east.

“I thought it was funny,” Goff said. “I caught a lot of grief from my friends, but it was fine. I didn’t mind.”

Coach Jeff Fisher didn’t indicate exactly when Goff would enter the game, but said his plan typically calls for starters to play two or three series. Presumably, then, Goff would be playing with the second-string offense, which he did Thursday and has done for most of this training camp.

Fisher said some players wouldn’t get into the game – not surprising, given that there are more than 80 healthy players on the roster – and that he wouldn’t get too deep into game-planning against Dallas.

“We’re keeping things pretty basic, as I would expect the Cowboys to as well,” Fisher said. “Most teams keep things pretty basic in their first preseason game. Our players are excited about lining up against someone else. Our interior (offensive) linemen have just about had enough of Aaron Donald.”

The Rams won't practice Friday, but Fisher will put the team through a simulated pregame session, with warmups and the national anthem, and then the team will bus to downtown Los Angeles and stay in a hotel.

The routine will be different for Goff, who said he couldn’t remember the last time he didn’t start a football game (Goff also was a star baseball player). Goff was a three-year starter at Cal.

Goff said he wouldn’t change his routine because of his backup status and said that while he is excited to play in his first (unofficial) NFL game, he would attempt to keep his emotions in check.

“I can’t make it more than it is,” Goff said. “I can’t blow it up in my head. I just have to treat it like any other game. I’ve always been pretty good at doing that, throughout my whole life.”

ALL WHITE NOW

The Rams will wear all-white uniforms in their two preseason games at the Coliseum and in five of their seven regular-season games at the Coliseum, the team announced Thursday.

In the other two games – dates yet to be announced – the Rams will wear the blue and gold uniforms they sported before their 1995 move to St. Louis.

Many fans have clamored for a return to those familiar jerseys, but NFL rules prohibited the Rams from switching back to them full-time this season. Fans won’t see the darker St. Louis jerseys, as the team will go with the all-white theme, similar to what the team used at the Coliseum in the 1960s and 1970s.

‘JEFFREY’ FISHER

Fisher said he heard from one “Hard Knocks” viewer who took issue with some of his PG-13 language.

“I got one of these yesterday: ‘Jeffrey?’”’ Fisher said, altering his voice. “That was from mom. ‘Sorry, Mom, that’s our world.’ When you hear, ‘Jeffrey,’ it’s like, ‘Uh oh, something went wrong.’”

Fisher, who has the right to review footage before it is broadcast, said he enjoyed the episode. He declined to give context to a memorable sequence in the first episode when he referred to receiver Tavon Austin skipping lunch as “7-9 (stuff),” and said he didn’t intend to go 7-9, 8-8 or even 10-6 this season.

“There are spontaneous things that come up,” Fisher said. “I addressed something that took place in the morning and I wanted to get the point across. People can read into whatever they want. That was me talking to the team as if the cameras weren’t there.”

HEAVY COMPETITION

Asked about position battles that might be impacted by the preseason opener, Fisher mentioned the offensive line – which has undergone some shuffling due to the absence of right tackle Rob Havenstein (foot injury) – and the cornerback spot opposite definite starter Trumaine Johnson.

E.J. Gaines was expected to hold down that spot, but he has missed most of camp with a hamstring injury, so Lamarcus Joyner and Coty Sensabaugh have split first-team reps.

“They’re all playing well right now,” Fisher said.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams QB Jared Goff will start exhibition on bench

RamBill968August 11, 2016 09:16PM

Of course Keenum is starting Saturday's game.

GreatRamNTheSky494August 12, 2016 03:00AM

Keenum, Mannion, and Goff

NewMexicoRam447August 12, 2016 06:00AM

Re: Keenum, Mannion, and Goff

bigjimram21390August 12, 2016 09:02PM

Fisher "said he didn’t intend to go 7-9, 8-8 or even 10-6 this season"

Suh-weet!485August 12, 2016 03:32AM