Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stronger, leaner Aaron Donald says Rams defensive line

August 08, 2016 07:51PM
Stronger, leaner Aaron Donald says Rams defensive line can be 'one of the best in history'

By RICH HAMMOND / STAFF WRITER

[www.ocregister.com]

IRVINE – The Rams were in full pads for Monday’s training-camp practice, but with defensive tackle Aaron Donald, sometimes it’s difficult to distinguish.

Donald hardly needs them. Layer upon layer of muscle shelters his bones, and during the offseason, Donald only got stronger. In an attempt to build off his first two stellar NFL seasons, Donald didn’t drop any weight but added bulk and said he hoped to keep his body fat under 10 percent.

Already considered one of the NFL’s top defensive tackles, Donald enters his third NFL season poised to lead a Rams defensive line that underachieved last year, in part because of injuries, but could be fierce.

“I’ve been working on my technique, trying to split double teams a lot better and holding double teams,” Donald said Monday at UC Irvine. “I’m just trying to clean up little things, and just working.”

Donald totaled 11 sacks last season, tied for most in the NFL among defensive tackles, and followed his 2014 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year effort with a second consecutive Pro Bowl selection.

There’s no slowing down. Donald, listed at 6-foot-1, 285 pounds, has a rock-solid physique but joked that he had “a little gut” last season. Donald said that offseason work had lowered his body fat to 10 percent in June but that he hoped it would be lower by the start of the season.

If so, opponents could be in trouble. Donald lines up next to end William Hayes, who took over as a starter seven weeks into last season and played well. The other end is Robert Quinn, who missed half of last season with a back injury but seemingly will be at 100 percent for the start of training camp.

Donald said he carefully watched last year’s Denver Broncos, who won the Super Bowl largely thanks to a talented defensive front, and said he drew motivation and encouragement.

“We can go down as one of the best in history,” Donald said. “With the talent we’ve got on this defensive line and the way they play, we can be one of those (top) defensive lines for sure.”

That’s important, because Donald increasingly will draw attention from opposing offensive lines. Multiple times Monday, he spoke of his need to occupy, if not split and beat, multiple defenders at the line of scrimmage.

Teammates also have talked about their need to support Donald, who recorded 11 of the Rams’ 41 sacks last season.

“I don’t think it’s just me making plays on the defensive line. It’s so many of us,” Donald said. “All of those guys have been making plays before I even got here. We just work good together and we all make plays.”

HAIL MARY
Rams receiver Tavon Austin, never one to lack flash, practiced wearing a pair of socks that featured images of the Virgin Mary.

Asked where the socks came from, Austin shrugged and said, “They were in my locker.”

Divine intervention, perhaps, and Austin’s footwear typically isn’t the only loud thing about him. Listed at 5-foot-8, 176 pounds, Austin is small but fierce, even when it comes to trash-talking teammates.

“He’s got two speeds,” Coach Jeff Fisher said. “One is ‘fast’ and the other is ‘sleep.’ When he’s not sleeping, he’s going fast, and that’s how his personality is also. He’s just going fast all the time. He’s a really smart player and a really exciting, special player. He loves to play.”

Fisher said he hadn’t yet decided how much Austin, the Rams’ leader in receptions last season (52) will play in Saturday’s preseason opener against Dallas. Last season, Austin had only three catches in four preseason games but said he’s looking forward to facing the Cowboys.

“It’s definitely going to be a big game,” Austin said. “Last year we kind of got into it (physically) in Oxnard (during camp). We’ve got to bring it. I know our side is definitely going to bring it. We’ll see from them.”

CAMP NOTES
Cornerback E.J. Gaines, out with a hamstring injury, was on the field in uniform with his helmet but did not practice. Offensive tackle Rob Havenstein also remains out with a foot injury. … The Rams had their first training-camp fight when offensive and defensive linemen got in a short but fierce scrap, with Garrett Reynolds and Quinton Coples in the middle of things. “It was spirited, just because of the nature of the practice,” Fisher said, “when you’re practicing short yardage and those kind of things.” … The Rams will practice in full pads again Tuesday, then hold only a special-teams practice Wednesday morning, Fisher said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 02:18AM by Shaky.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Stronger, leaner Aaron Donald says Rams defensive line

RamBill996August 08, 2016 07:51PM

Re: Stronger, leaner Aaron Donald says

oldmanram446August 08, 2016 11:24PM

agreed! If Quinn can get 100% healthy and play like he did...

SunTzu_vs_Camus460August 09, 2016 06:21AM

Re: Stronger, leaner Aaron Donald says Rams defensive line

Rams43406August 09, 2016 06:42AM