Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jourdan on Skowronek

September 19, 2022 12:43PM
This was part of her "The Pile" article but she also just tweeted. Great stuff!

[twitter.com]

On Sunday, the Rams — who largely play in 11 personnel, meaning three-receiver sets — technically were still in 11 personnel … but only if you adhere to such societal constraints as “the position a player is listed at on the roster.” Because, well, second-year receiver Ben Skowronek played fullback in the I-formation for a majority of the Rams’ run plays against Atlanta, so while technically, technically they were in 11 personnel, they actually were in 21 personnel for much of the game.

And it worked. The Rams’ usage of Skowronek — hinted at in various alignments throughout camp, and a noted part of his past in middle school and high school — lent dimension not just to their run game, but also the Falcons still had to account for 11 personnel looks even with the Rams showing 21 personnel pre-snap, because he’s a receiver and could release into various routes. It was completely different than anything the team had done previously under McVay, especially in such volume, and it was so totally 1980s-hair-metal neck-roll–gnarly.

Skowronek found out he’d be playing the position officially Wednesday, and only had a few reps to practice. McVay, smiling wryly postgame, alluded to other teams (such as San Francisco) that use fullbacks in the passing game where they’ve traditionally been blockers, but Skowronek is a different hybrid in that he’s doing it in the inverse.

“Historically, (fullbacks) also have a different physique than me, but it’s a torch I’m proud to carry,” he said, grinning.

Skowronek detailed the leverage techniques he had to deploy, as a player who is physically longer and thinner than the stereotypical beefy stoutness of a fullback. As he came out of his three-point stance when aligned in the I-formation, Skowronek worked to stay low and push up under chests and arms in his blocks while maintaining power in his shoulders, to keep the defender off-balance. One of his best blocks of the day was a 13-yard run by Darrell Henderson, in which the Rams ran a “toss” play (similar to what the 49ers ran against them last year, with Skowronek coming out of the I-formation as the twist).

“Try to get as much power as you can, because you’re going against other grown men out there,” said Skowronek, who said he watched film of 49ers fullback (actual fullback) Kyle Juszczyk for inspiration and technical points to prepare for his role Sunday. “They’re ready for contact.”

Skowronek then pondered if it was the first time in history where a team went into the I-formation out of 11 personnel.

“It’s unique, fun, transcending,” he said. “Whatever (McVay) asks me to do, I’m gonna execute it to the best of my ability.”

The Rams worked several of their receivers into a variety of looks in the run and pass game — a total departure from their stodginess in Week 1 (though the Bills’ pass-rush was an influencing factor in that). Both Kupp and Brandon Powell showed pre-snap double-backfield looks opposite whichever running back was in at that given time, and ran routes from that position or went in motion before the snap. Kupp had 11 catches on 14 targets for 108 yards and two touchdowns, aside from the costly fumble, and one of his best plays of the game was a block in the “trash chute” of the stack that helped spring open Henderson’s touchdown run. Tight end Tyler Higbee rumbled for 7 catches and 71 yards and Skowronek got a couple of looks as well. Really, the only receiver who didn’t factor into the Rams’ game plan as much Sunday (as opposed to getting looks last week) was Tutu Atwell.

RFS69
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jourdan on Skowronek

RamsFanSince69695September 19, 2022 12:43PM

I liked the idea!

Ramsdude296September 19, 2022 01:10PM

He's setting up the league...

sstrams189September 19, 2022 01:23PM

Genius!!!

Ramsdude110September 19, 2022 01:36PM

Re: He's setting up the league...

george_allen194September 19, 2022 02:59PM

Re: Sko is just a damn solid football player.

DomerRam283September 19, 2022 01:35PM

I believe you brother!

Ramsdude125September 19, 2022 01:41PM

No, he does not have great hands

Coy Bacon105September 19, 2022 01:46PM

Re: Hopefully I can motivate Skow or McVay

BumRap91September 19, 2022 07:55PM

Re: Sko is just a damn solid football player.

Shecky70September 20, 2022 01:47AM

Re: Sko is just a damn solid football player. THIS^^^^^^^ Domer!

oldschoolramfan233September 20, 2022 05:07AM

Re: Jourdan on Skowronek

george_allen145September 19, 2022 03:14PM

gives teams something else to prep for

LMU9357September 20, 2022 03:54AM