Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lance McCutcheon deserving of roster spot despite losing effort

August 20, 2022 05:40PM
[www.turfshowtimes.com] Lance McCutcheon deserving of roster spot despite losing effort
Rookie wideout has been major bright spot for offense during preseason

By Evan Craig Aug 20, 2022, 6:20pm CDT

NFL: AUG 19 Preseason - Texans at Rams
Photo by Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
For anyone who has watched the first two Los Angeles Rams preseason games, one thing has become blatantly clear:

Lance McCutcheon should be nicknamed Lance McClutcheon for his efforts in exhibition matchups against the Chargers and Texans.

Forget that the Rams lost Friday night. It’s only preseason, those results don’t matter all that much. What does matter is that LA has a receiver rising up the depth chart. A pass catcher more than deserving of a roster spot. If he’s not given one, Rams faithful might lead an uprising against the team’s front office:

If this armchair quarterback had any say, McCutcheon would the team’s fourth receiver for the upcoming season. His inclusion would provide a definite answer to a position that’s faced some uncertainty this offseason.

Despite having a promising camp, Tutu Atwell hasn’t played a snap in either preseason game, so still unsure what to make of the second-year pass catcher. OBJ hasn’t re-signed with the team, and if he did, he wouldn’t play until midseason or later as he recovers from a torn-ACL.

Including Lance on the final 53-man roster would build much-needed depth at the position no matter his role in the regular season. Through two games this preseason, McCutcheon has 10 receptions for 183 yards and two touchdowns. He has been the best player on the field for the Rams and it hasn’t been remotely close.

As I’ve said before, I try not to put too much stock into a player’s performance during preseason. However, I would have to believe McVay would have a hard time keeping a player like Lance off the field once the real games start. The undrafted rookie from Montana State is riding a hot hand. Who says that couldn’t translate to regular season production?

Especially after seeing him torch the highest-drafted cornerback from this year’s draft:

This play in particular against the Texans’ Derek Stingley Jr. was noted in McVay’s praise of the rookie following the game:

Apparently the Rams are doing all they can to stock the position well heading into the season as signaled by the release of Super Bowl starter Kendall Blanton and four others on Saturday.

What I’ve mentioned in this article probably doesn’t have to be said at this point. Lance McCutcheon should be on LA’s final roster ahead of the season opener against Buffalo. It’s the only way to reward a player who’s been making a living turning heads thus far in his young career.

Let’s hope the rook gets a chance to continue proving his doubters wrong once he takes the field against the Bills. If the Rams are smart, they’ll do everything in their power to make it happen.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Lance McCutcheon deserving of roster spot despite losing effort

BerendsenRam111August 20, 2022 05:40PM