Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few thoughts about Rams superb asst coaches…

July 31, 2022 07:05AM
Snead and his crack scouting staff have done a wonderful job in identifying ‘Ram fit’ player talent for years. And they have rightfully been highly praised for it. Their record on finding late round and UDFA talent is remarkable.

In fact, the current Snead strategy of trading high picks for proven top drawer talent is only possible because of Snead and his guys ability to continually keeping the pipeline full. The envy of the league, I think.

But I’ve been thinking…

This strategy is a 2-sided coin and I wonder if Rams asst coaches are getting the full credit that is their due.

Here’s what I mean. Let’s take a look at a few names of recent mid to late round picks and some UDFA’s and ask ourselves if Rams just got ‘lucky’ or benefitted from coincidence when so many of these players vastly exceeded all expectations one after another. Or was there some fantastic coaching going on behind the scenes that turbocharged player development and raised ceilings on so many players’ careers? Sometimes players left Rams only to struggle on other teams. Doesn’t this support my argument?

Check out these names and this is only a partial list just to bolster my argument…

Boom
Edwards
Allen
Hav (okay he was a high pick, but damn, he’s playing at an elite level that nobody saw coming)
Jones
Gaines
SJD
Troy Hill (excelled here but struggled with Browns)
Fuller
Scott

This is but a partial list, there are so many others making significant contributions even though drafted late or not at all. Looks like more gems were found in this ‘22 draft, too. Think that’s just a bunch of coincidences? Me neither.

My point? The combination of talent evaluation AND superb coaching by many assistants has enabled this formerly mediocre team to raise itself to SB winning elite status in just a handful of years.

There are many moving parts to this successful organization and I just wanted to point the spotlight on a possibly under appreciated segment in Rams asst coaching ranks.

Hot Damn!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A few thoughts about Rams superb asst coaches…

Rams43237July 31, 2022 07:05AM

Re: A few thoughts about Rams superb asst coaches…

den-the-coach188July 31, 2022 08:04AM

Re: A few thoughts about Rams superb asst coaches…

Rams43141July 31, 2022 08:28AM

Spot on with this comment

stlramz130July 31, 2022 08:37AM