Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams training camp preview: Who will step up at OLB to replace Von Miller?

July 18, 2022 09:08AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Rams training camp preview: Who will step up at OLB to replace Von Miller?

Cameron DaSilva
July 18, 2022 4:00 am PT

The biggest loss suffered by the Rams this offseason was unquestionably Von Miller’s departure in free agency. He signed with the Bills, leaving the Rams after only half a season following last year’s in-season trade.

Leonard Floyd is still there as the top outside linebacker, but with Miller gone, there’s even more pressure on Terrell Lewis and Justin Hollins to step up on the other side.

It’s hardly the Rams’ strongest position, and it’s a spot that could cause the defense to take a step back if they can’t get better production out of Lewis and Hollins.

Quarterbacks
Running backs
Wide receivers
Tight ends
Offensive line
Defensive line
Roster locks

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Leonard Floyd
Justin Hollins
Terrell Lewis
I was a little hesitant to put Lewis in this group because you just never know with his injury history, but I can’t imagine him not making the team, given the Rams’ lack of depth at this position. They need him to not only stay healthy, but also contribute in a meaningful way throughout the season.

Floyd is obviously going to be the top edge rusher, playing most of the snaps, and Hollins is likely to be the No. 2 option outside.

On the bubble

(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

Daniel Hardy
Chris Garrett
Benton Whitley
Keir Thomas
Brayden Thomas
I skipped the “likely to make it” designation with this position group because, well, there isn’t anyone beyond the top three who is probable to make the team. There’s a wide gap between the top of the depth chart and the backups, and that’s not necessarily a good thing, given Lewis’ and Hollins’ injury histories.

I like Hardy and Garrett to both make a strong run at the 53-man roster, and it’s highly likely at least now of them will make the team. Whitley and the two Thomases are all undrafted rookies and long shots to make the cut this September unless an injury occurs ahead of them.

Battle to watch: Hardy vs. Garrett

(Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images)

Hardy and Garrett both hail from small schools, and while Garrett has a year of experience under his belt now, Hardy is going to be tough to hold off. He’s an explosive pass rusher (who can jump out of pools) and plays with great energy.

Garrett brings better size and length but his rookie year was essentially a redshirt. He still has plenty to prove as a former seventh-round pick in his second year.

Projected depth chart

Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Starters: Floyd, Hollins
Backups: Lewis, Hardy
I’m torn between the Rams keeping four or five edge rushers, but I really don’t think it’ll be more than that. Floyd, Hollins and Lewis is a solid trio to have if they’re all able to stay healthy, but that’s been a challenge for the latter two.

Los Angeles could wind up keeping both Hardy and Garrett because they both have great potential and upside, but their learning curve from small-school college ball to the NFL is steep.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams training camp preview: Who will step up at OLB to replace Von Miller?

BerendsenRam190July 18, 2022 09:08AM

Re: Rams training camp preview: Who will step up at OLB to replace Von Miller?

SoCalRAMatic75July 19, 2022 08:18AM