Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Watch: Rams DL coach Eric Henderson delivers powerful speech at South Carolina

June 16, 2022 08:43AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Watch: Rams DL coach Eric Henderson delivers powerful speech at South Carolina

Cameron DaSilva
June 16, 2022 8:24 am PT

Eric Henderson has received consistent praise from Sean McVay throughout his tenure with the Los Angeles Rams. The defensive line coach is one of the most important members of the coaching staff, and not just because he works closely with Aaron Donald.

Henderson is a terrific motivator and leader in the defensive line room. He showed that side of his personality during a trip to the University of South Carolina, where he gave a moving speech to the football team.

“We talk to our guys all the time about (how) we compete with our schemes, but we win with our people,” he said. “The star of the team is the team. Period. Got a lot of individual stars, but the star of the team is the team. If you can take that concept and apply it to your situation that you have here, something special, I truly believe that South Carolina is going to be the team this year.”

Henderson revealed how difficult his path to where he is today has been. He suffered many losses in his family growing up, and with two younger siblings, he had to keep pushing forward to show them the way.

“Lost my mom when I was 9 years old. She had cancer,” he said. “Never met my daddy a day in my life. Lived with my grandmother. I’m the oldest, got a younger brother and younger sister. My grandmother passed away my senior year of high school right before I went to Georgia Tech. So my Aunt Tida was living in the house with us. She was the household, whatever. Go to Georgia Tech, freshman year, Aunt T passed away. I’m in school at Georgia Tech felt like with nobody. I’m the oldest, younger brother, younger sister. They were important to me because if I sank, there’s no hope for them in my mind.”

It was an honor to have the NFL's DL Coach of the Year, @Coach_Henny, deliver a powerful message to the team today!

You've got a great one, @RamsNFL! pic.twitter.com/26lqZAnOK8

— Gamecock Football (@GamecockFcool smiley June 16, 2022

Henderson was named the NFL’s Defensive Line Coach of the Year last season, continuing his ascent as one of the best assistant coaches in football. He had to overcome a lot throughout his life, but he’s remained dedicated and persistent every step of the way.

His message to the Gamecocks football team is one everyone should hear because it applies in all facets of life.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Watch: Rams DL coach Eric Henderson delivers powerful speech at South Carolina

BerendsenRam299June 16, 2022 08:43AM

Future Defensive Coordinator

den-the-coach213June 16, 2022 09:13AM

Maybe?

BigGame81123June 16, 2022 09:32AM

Re: Maybe?

den-the-coach118June 16, 2022 10:28AM

Re: Maybe?

BerendsenRam106June 16, 2022 11:42AM

Re: Watch: Rams DL coach Eric Henderson delivers powerful speech at South Carolina

Ramstien95June 17, 2022 06:22AM