Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sean McVay's 6 best quotes on the Bobby Wagner signing

April 05, 2022 09:03AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Sean McVay's 6 best quotes on the Bobby Wagner signing

Cameron DaSilva
April 5, 2022 10:13 am PT

Loading your audio article

Sean McVay met with the media for the first time since the Rams signed Bobby Wagner on Tuesday, sharing his thoughts on the major addition to their defense and what it means for the team as a whole.

He’s obviously thrilled to have the six-time All-Pro leading Los Angeles’ defense, beaming with excitement about the signing.

We sorted through McVay’s media session and picked out his six best quotes about the Rams bringing on Wagner to man the middle of their defense.

Leadership was important
“I also think the leadership was a real big part of it. We’re losing some big-time locker room leaders. You look at what Andrew Whitworth’s meant to our football team. When you lose a player like what Von Miller has meant. I thought Eric Weddle’s leadership during the playoff run was vital. To be able to have a guy that will be thrust into a leadership role based on the nature of how you communicate from that middle linebacker spot, but then also just who he is as a human being, there’s a lot of positives.”

Excited to pair Wagner with Ernest Jones
“It’s gonna be big. And I also think it’s huge for Ernest Jones. A lot of the reasons why we drafted Ernest Jones when we did was because he had some traits and characteristics that reminded us of Bobby, and so to be able to pair those two together is something that we’re really excited about. And there’s going to be a nice spin that we can put on some of these different personnel groupings to take advantage of getting our best 11 on the grass.”

Rams have versatility at linebacker – inside and out
“When you have those joker-type of players – on different than the way a running back or tight end can move all over the formation, or a receiver that puts so much pressure on a defense – it’s the same thing when you look at some of those edge rushers that can also play inside linebacker, or those inside linebackers that are legitimate threats to be able to blitz. It’s not a good matchup if they ask a back to protect, so I think Bobby and Ernest have that capacity and capability to be able to handle a bunch of different roles and responsibilities.

“When you’ve got two versatile, moving pieces like Bobby and Ernest, there’s a lot of exciting things. And you could say Justin Hollins and Leonard Floyd are really that force, as well. So we’ve got a lot of guys that bring versatility.”

McVay plans to learn from Wagner
“His familiarity with our division – I always felt him when you’re watching Niners film and you see the presence that he’s made – that’s been consistent going against him. He’s gonna be an impact player for us and he’s gonna help us in so many ways and that’s why, for me, I’m excited to be able to learn from this guy. As a coach, you’re always excited to spend some time with some of these defensive guys, get an insight into the way they see some different things that we’ve done or that we’re doing offensively and how that can help you to continue to improve your game and your craft.”

"We're playing Madden over here"
“You’re damn right. We’re playing ‘Madden’ over here. No, it’s great. I think one of the fun things for me is being around these greats, you learn from them. They make you a better coach and they elevate everyone around them.

“When you get a chance to play alongside Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd and the way A’Shawn Robinson has elevated his game, and you look at Jalen Ramsey. There’s a lot of guys you’d be excited about wanting to come and partner up with them. That’s a fun thing for me.”

Inside linebacker wasn't a need
“He’s one of those guys where you say, OK, just looking at it from an outside-in perspective and you’re looking at some of the guys and the way they played at that inside linebacker spot, you would say, ‘I don’t know if that’s necessarily a need,’ but Bobby Wagner is an exception to the rule. All those things you mentioned are reasons you can wrap your head around it and it makes sense. Anytime you’re able to add a great player with the things he can provide, both from a production and intangibles – and just getting to know the guy. The more time you spend with him, the more impressive he really is.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sean McVay's 6 best quotes on the Bobby Wagner signing

BerendsenRam510April 05, 2022 09:03AM

Re: Sean McVay's 6 best quotes on the Bobby Wagner signing

Ramstien286April 05, 2022 12:14PM

GlacieRam172April 05, 2022 02:26PM

BerendsenRam149April 05, 2022 04:49PM