Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Joe Noteboom feels prepared as Rams' LT after getting blueprint from Andrew Whitworth

March 22, 2022 08:44AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Joe Noteboom feels prepared as Rams' LT after getting blueprint from Andrew Whitworth

Cameron DaSilva
March 22, 2022 10:30 am PT

Joseph Noteboom was drafted into a perfect situation four years ago when the Rams took him in the third round. They already had Andrew Whitworth as their starting left tackle, which allowed Noteboom to sit back and learn from one of the best linemen of this generation.

He probably didn’t expect to sit behind Whitworth for all four years of his rookie contract, but the Rams still rewarded Noteboom with an extension this offseason.

They committed to him as their starting left tackle with a three-year, $40 million contract, a considerable deal for a player who has never been a full-time starter in the NFL. But Noteboom appreciates the Rams showing confidence in him, and he knows he’s the man for the job after getting to see Whitworth work every week.

“It was the perfect situation. There’s no other guy in the league I would’ve rather been behind those four years. That gives me confidence going into it. I was sitting behind a guy who does everything the right way on and off the field,” Noteboom said Monday. “Sixteen-year vet, Walter Payton Man of the Year. I mean, to step into this role, I had a blueprint for it for four years and I was watching his every move on and off the field so that’s what gives me confidence to go into this position.”

Noteboom has made starts at left tackle when Whitworth was injured or out due to COVID-19, and he played well in those opportunities – far better than he performed as a starting guard in 2018. Against the Buccaneers in the divisional round, Noteboom allowed just one pressure in pass protection, the same number he allowed the week prior against the Cardinals.

He’s allowed more than three pressures in a game just once since 2020, excelling in pass protection. Noteboom could get stronger and more physical in the running game by finishing off blocks, but he should continue to get better as he develops further in a starting role.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Joe Noteboom feels prepared as Rams' LT after getting blueprint from Andrew Whitworth

BerendsenRam287March 22, 2022 08:44AM

I think they've largely kept the right people

LMU93130March 22, 2022 10:02AM