Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Andrew Whitworth: Five years ago I was told I was too old, now I’m holding the Lombardi Trophy

February 17, 2022 09:03AM
[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com] Andrew Whitworth: Five years ago I was told I was too old, now I’m holding the Lombardi Trophy
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 17, 2022, 3:58 AM EST

NFL: FEB 16 Rams Super Bowl LVI Championship Parade
Getty Images
At 40 years old, Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth is the oldest player in the NFL. And after winning Super Bowl LVI, Whitworth is reflecting on how long he’s been told he’s too old.

Whitworth just finished his fifth season with the Rams, and he said at their Super Bowl parade that when he left the Bengals after 11 seasons in 2016, he was told he didn’t have it anymore.

“Five years ago, I was told I was a little too old,” Whitworth said, via the Rams’ website. “I was told that maybe my time was done. And I tell you this for every single person sitting out there that’s ever doubted anything you’ve ever done, bet on yourself, because five years later, I’m holding this trophy up and I’m 40 years old. Let’s go. Don’t let anybody’s opinion of you ever become your reality. Bet on yourself. World damn champions!”

Whitworth, who was named the NFL’s Walter Payton Man of the Year on the night before the Super Bowl, has proven himself capable of continuing to play at a high level, even at the age of 40. It’s unclear whether he’ll retire or return to the Rams in 2022, but if he wants to keep going at age 41, no one should doubt he can do it.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Andrew Whitworth: Five years ago I was told I was too old, now I’m holding the Lombardi Trophy

BerendsenRam275February 17, 2022 09:03AM

so happy for him...

LMU93101February 17, 2022 09:07AM

Re: so happy for him...

stlrams13161February 17, 2022 09:15AM

highlight of the ceremony for me

21Dog123February 17, 2022 10:28AM

Big Whit has waited a very long time for this…

Rams43128February 17, 2022 02:15PM

Re: Big Whit has waited a very long time for this…

Ramstien81February 18, 2022 04:35AM