Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Great Athletic article on Wentz and why QBs are so hard to acquire

February 16, 2022 04:12AM
I can't post the article because it is a paid subscription.

But the point was that although Wentz can be infuriating, and is nowhere in the elite or even upper tier of QBs, what good would it do for the Colts to let him and go and try to get someone better? Then it listed the FA QBs with such illustrious names as Andy Dalton and Teddy Bridgewater and it makes one quickly understand that while Wentz is probably no better than any of those guys, at the same time he's no worse. And, the Colts already have him.

Some talk about how if a Rogers or Wilson should come available the cost in draft capital and the enormous money involved, but it also pointed out how onerous it is to go that route.

While Stafford and the Rams never came up, all I could think about was the criticisms of the acquisition, but yet how rare an elite QB like Stafford comes available, how a deal can even be structured to make it all work, etc. Big time QBs simply don't get traded. And big time QBs simply aren't lost via FA. Yes, I suppose there are rare exceptions in rare circumstances. But the teams that have these guys understand that replacing them will be near to impossible I don't care how many draft picks they get in exchange.

When I listen to Polian and others on Sirius, and their conservative tried-and-true NFL standard methods of team building, etc., it helps me understand the boldness of Snead but also how much the NFL has changed and how you can't just sit back, pile up draft picks, and believe that over some years it'll all work out. It can, but more often than not it doesn't. Look at Jax. They've picked top 10 for the last decade! Even the Bengals are anything but home grown. Lots of FA pick ups.

Thank you Les Snead and Mr. Kroenke for giving him the green light to go big or go home. It's risky. But it's also really hard to reach the top of that NFL mountain if you don't think out of the box.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2022 04:16AM by RockRam.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Great Athletic article on Wentz and why QBs are so hard to acquire

RockRam247February 16, 2022 04:12AM

Re: Great Athletic article on Wentz and why QBs are so hard to acquire

cool_hand_luke148February 16, 2022 05:24AM

I would add

3030112February 16, 2022 07:37AM

And... RB is the wrong position to give much cap space to (nm)

RockRam69February 16, 2022 09:26AM

Re: And... RB is the wrong position to give much cap space to (nm)

cool_hand_luke117February 16, 2022 09:29AM