Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cam Akers is more than a great comeback story. He's a key piece of the Rams offense.

January 20, 2022 08:42AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Cam Akers is more than a great comeback story. He's a key piece of the Rams offense.

Cameron DaSilva
January 20, 2022 7:34 am PT
Cam Akers finished the 2020 season looking like he’d be one of the NFL’s best running backs in 2021. He racked up 520 yards from scrimmage in his final five games of the regular season, then continued his hot streak with 272 yards from scrimmage in two postseason games against the Seahawks and Packers.

There was no doubt about him being the Rams’ starting running back in 2021, but disaster struck in July when he tore his Achilles while working out before training camp. Given the severity of the injury, it was expected that he would miss the entire season, a major setback for the second-year running back.

But miraculously, he returned for Week 18 against the 49ers – less than six months after rupturing his Achilles. His role was limited in his first game back, playing just 13 snaps and touching the ball only eight times, but the Rams put more faith in him on Monday night against the Cardinals.

He played 32 snaps and turned in a terrific performance, rushing for 55 yards on 17 carries and catching a pass from Odell Beckham Jr. for 40 yards. He forced three missed tackles and gained 40 yards after contact, showing impressive physicality and explosiveness out of the backfield.

What’s crazy is he could’ve had nearly 200 yards from scrimmage if not for penalties and a dropped pass. He had 42 yards rushing called back due to holding penalties, and he couldn’t haul in a deep pass from Matthew Stafford down the sideline, which would’ve gained at least 30 yards had the quarterback hit him in stride.

Akers’ performance in the Rams’ 34-11 win over Arizona proved that he’s become more than just a great comeback story and a source of inspiration. He’s now a major part of the Rams offense, and is one of the primary reasons they were able to beat Arizona so easily despite Stafford only attempting 17 passes.

“It’s unbelievable. And, really, I don’t think the stats tell the story for how good he looked, leveling some runs off,” Sean McVay said after the game. “He got a couple big time runs called back. … I thought Cam was outstanding. He did a great job. And he’s only getting more and more confident. And you know what I love the most about him is what a confident, secure individual he is. A play I think he would want back earlier in the game and then he makes a great catch off the double pass in kind of that same spot.”

The Rams didn’t set a season-high in rushing on Monday night, gaining 140 yards on the ground, but it was the explosiveness and physicality Akers showed that should give the Rams so much confidence heading into Sunday’s game against the Buccaneers.

They now have two capable starters at running back in Akers and Sony Michel, who each rushed for 50-plus yards. It’s just that Akers brings more as a receiver and has better speed, which allows him to break away from defenders in the open field.

Whether it’s Michel or Akers in the backfield, Stafford is excited about the Rams’ running game and the balance it brings to the offense.

“I think we’re pretty lucky in the fact that I think both those guys can really do it all. They really can,” Stafford said Wednesday. “I think they can both run physical. They can both break big runs. You look at the first play when Sony hits it for 30, 35 – whatever it was. Both catch the ball well out of the backfield. Do they have different styles? Absolutely. Sony’s a bigger person. He’s a physical player, he’s a downhill runner. Cam is more of a slash player, slash runner, maybe a little bit more top-end speed. So, both those guys could really carry the load for a full game, I think. But at the same time, being able to kind of balance and use the pick and choose them is a pretty cool thing as an offense. I know it’s fun for Sean as a play caller.”

Akers’ unbelievable return is still an accomplishment worth celebrating. However, after the performance he turned in on Monday night, it’s no longer a question of how healthy he is or whether he’s back to his usual self. That much is obvious. It’s now about Akers leading the offense as the starting running back moving forward.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cam Akers is more than a great comeback story. He's a key piece of the Rams offense.

BerendsenRam79January 20, 2022 08:42AM