Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sean McVay isn't worried about Cam Akers getting up to speed in Rams offense

January 08, 2022 08:43AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Sean McVay isn't worried about Cam Akers getting up to speed in Rams offense

Cameron DaSilva
January 8, 2022 6:55 am PT

Cam Akers is set to make his season debut on Sunday against the 49ers, just over five months after tearing his Achilles. It’s a remarkable recovery for the second-year running back, who was expected to miss the entire season when the injury occurred.

His workload is still to be determined, but Sean McVay isn’t worried about him needing time to get up to speed the way Odell Beckham Jr. and Von Miller did after they joined the Rams mid-season. Akers knows the offense and has been in the building throughout the year, so he’s comfortable.

“A little bit different. It’s a positive, it’s a good challenge,” McVay said. “I don’t know necessarily know if it’s a challenge because Cam has kind of been here. He understands kind of the way we want to operate whereas some of those other changes involved guys learning the (offense), that had no familiarity with anything that we do or were moving in new spots. And so, it’s great to be able to get Cam back. I think it’s such a testament to his work ethic and the way that he attacked his rehab to even be in a position to do what he’s doing. I think it’s got to be unprecedented for pro football. And so, it’s pretty special and excited for Cam.”

Sony Michel has run the ball well, but Akers is an explosive and dynamic player who also excels as a receiver, which isn’t necessarily the case with Michel.

McVay said the team will get a feel for Akers, but it doesn’t sound like he’ll be limited physically with what he can do this weekend.

“If he’s going, he’s going to go,” McVay said. “I think we’ll have to get a feel. It’s really kind of – we do a meeting with our players presenting it, but the run game, we work throughout the course of the weekly preparation. It’s kind of just saying, ‘Here’s how we want to be able to run it. Here are the things that we think are going to be important for us to be successful running the football.’ Different personnel, different concepts, things like that.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sean McVay isn't worried about Cam Akers getting up to speed in Rams offense

BerendsenRam265January 08, 2022 08:43AM

Re: Sean McVay isn't worried about Cam Akers getting up to speed in Rams offense

joram100January 08, 2022 12:37PM