Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Odell Beckham Jr. shares why he chose the Rams

November 14, 2021 08:26AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Odell Beckham Jr. shares why he chose the Rams

Cameron DaSilva
November 14, 2021 9:13 am PT
Odell Beckham Jr. didn’t get claimed off waivers after the Browns released him but he had suitors when he was a free agent. The Rams were late players in the sweepstakes for Beckham but they won out by signing him to a one-year deal worth up to $4.25 million.

The Seahawks, Saints, Patriots, Packers and Steelers were all interested in the former Pro Bowl receiver but he chose the Rams, giving himself a good chance to win a ring this season. During his press conference on Saturday, he explained why he picked Los Angeles, saying he felt it in his heart and soul.

“I took a lot of time in the decision-making, and it wasn’t to build anticipation or nothing. This is my life,” he said. “I feel like I’ve been through a lot and I’m at a point in my life where I’m ready to play football and I’ve dedicated, sacrificed a lot to be here. It just happened that this felt right in my heart, in my soul. I prayed on it, sat back by the fires, just sat in silence, and just tried to listen to what God was telling me, and it just happened to be here. This is a tremendous team, 7-2. Have a great opportunity to do some great things and I just wanted to be a part of it.”

Beckham added that “it just feels right about the offense here” and that “they flow.” He’s still learning the playbook and getting up to speed with his new team, taking it day by day in preparation of making his debut.

He’s obviously behind everyone else after not having training camp and practices each week, so he’ll need to learn quickly.

“Right now, just taking it minute by minute, hour by hour,” he said. “Never been to a different team in the middle of a season. Guys have been through training camp – you’ve bonded, you’ve come together as a team. It’s definitely a different feeling, but we’re all pros and I just have to be a pro in this situation and find ways to get acclimated and get the plays and everything down as fast as I can and do the best to help this team find ways to win.”

Beckham’s role will be bigger than expected after Robert Woods suffered a torn ACL in practice, likely stepping in as a starter right away. He said he has “no words” for how heartbreaking it is to see Woods go down, adding that they’re “big shoes to fill” in L.A.

Beckham feels a greater sense of urgency now with Woods out.

“You definitely feel that. It’s just tough,” he said. “I didn’t even know what happened until I got the phone call later and they said it. And like I said, it’s just very disheartening. There’s no words to describe that feeling, but definitely a sense of urgency when you’re in the race right now. You got to find ways to continue to win. So, whatever I can do to help.”

Beckham is expected to make his debut against the 49ers on Monday night, potentially contributing as a punt returner, too. After this week, he’ll have a bye, too, which will give him more time to learn the playbook and offense.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Odell Beckham Jr. shares why he chose the Rams

BerendsenRam185November 14, 2021 08:26AM