Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few impressions from that Giant game…

October 18, 2021 07:15AM
I haven’t rewatched it yet and didn’t do replays during the broadcast, either. So these are just general impressions after waiting 24 hours to post.

Once again the Rams have started the 1st quarter very slowly and on both sides of the ball, tbh. Hard to understand why that keeps happening. But once they get rolling, Hoo Boy!

We must temper our enthusiasm about beating these injury wracked Giants. It was never a fair fight in the first place.

That 28 point 2nd quarter was one for the books. Been a while since we’ve seen such domination.

Loved Shlereth’s description of Rams running the ball down Giants throats in the 4th quarter as ‘soul sucking’. Priceless.

We all miss Akers, of course, but Hendo and Michel are proving to be much more than adequate for a potential SB run given this QB and this OL.

WTH is up with Wolford? That was NOT confidence inspiring, was it? Too early to think that McVay is starting to have second thoughts about his backup QB pecking order? Wolford vs Perkins? Hmmmmm…

Don’t look now, but Morris seems to be finally making some personnel and scheme adjustments. Emphasis on ‘Finally’. Ramsey played more outside, Rochell has replaced Long, Rapp played more down in the box (to his strengths), Burgess got some snaps at Safety replacing Rapp back there, Deayon got lots of snaps, and most of all it seemed like Morris called a more Staley-like aggressive D after that 1st quarter. Results speak for themselves, don’t you think?

Rochell is learning on the job and sometimes the hard way. And yet he is mentally strong and makes big plays here and there. I love the kid and think his future is bright. If he’s got the football smarts I think he does then this season is gonna prep him to be DW’s ‘22 replacement, as planned.

Deayon is kinda small but boy is he ever sticky. Saw him lots on my TV screen. Nice instincts, too.

Okay, Lewis is winning me over. Not only with his play but mostly because he is showing that he can stay healthy enough to be a consistent contributor. His health was always the only concern from his fanbase. Kudos to Lewis and Reggie and his stellar crew.

Nice to see some backups getting game snaps. Boom and Jones in particular since I suspect that both are in long range Ram plans for ‘22 and beyond. Wouldn’t mind seeing Bobby Brown get in there for a few snaps, too.

Heck, it was great to see Rams empty their bench in that 4th quarter. Good experience for many players and great injury insurance for the Rams.

I continue to be very impressed with this ‘new’ Rams OL. Both running and pass pro are very high quality and make all other Rams O players so much more effective. That old axiom is so true that says it all starts up front.

Well, Mundt is hurt and they say it might be serious. What will McVay do? Hopkins or Harris? Or both in a platoon format?

Rams found a way to get the football in Skowronek’s hands, didn’t they? Too bad about that BS ref call. Skowronek is a football player which is about the highest compliment one can give him. We’re gonna be seeing a lot more from that young man beyond ST over the years, I suspect.

Did anybody notice whether Fuller was played back in his ‘20 role while someone else played the JJ role? I’ve seen that suggested by some but I couldn’t tell whether Morris actually did it.

About Morris. I’ve been quite critical of him through the first 4 games but I will now give him credit for (finally) making needed adjustments. Rochell, Rapp, Burgess, Ramsey (less star), and Deayon were all smart personnel/scheme moves. Seemed more aggressive after that passive 1st quarter, too. Better late than never, but still. The important thing is that those decisions were made. BTW, do you suppose that McVay ‘helped’ Morris to come to those decisions? Hmmmmm…

Couple more games against weaker competition and it would be a perfect opportunity for tweaking and continuing to give snaps to development players in blowouts. Been a LONG time since such an idea could even be seriously suggested.

I continue to believe that the Rams are a top 5 team and a serious contender for a SB run. By game 10-12 I expect the Rams to be firing on all cylinders both on O and on D.

Hot Damn!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2021 07:20AM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A few impressions from that Giant game…

Rams43333October 18, 2021 07:15AM

Agree more or less. I understand why McVay was ticked off

RockRam170October 18, 2021 07:47AM

Re: A few impressions from that Giant game…

LMU93120October 18, 2021 09:49AM