Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead on the Carberry wanting Allen decision…

October 01, 2021 09:29AM
Here’s oldnotdead…

It's my understanding that Carberry always wanted Allen as the starter. But Sean for whatever reason wanted to shift Corbett to center. I think from statements made at the time of Corbett's acquisition that Corbett was the Ram's first choice as a center but got taken before their pick came up. So they went to plan B which was Allen. Basically, McVay wanted to go back to their original position plan.

But it was clear to Carberry that Corbett was clearly behind Allen in his development as a Center. During the joint practices with Vegas McVay saw for himself what exactly Carberry was telling him. Corbett's ability to make the proper pass protection calls weren't nearly as good as Allen's. It's exactly why he was benched as a center in Cleveland.

Corbett is a damn good OG and that is why he was moved back to the vulnerable RG position.

It's clear from what Stafford is saying about Allen that it was the right move. Remember Stafford had an excellent center in front of him in Detroit. These are things I heard way back in OTAs which is why I kept saying Allen was the best choice for the position. McVay simply needed to trust what Carberry was telling him. To his credit, he did when he could see it for himself.

It's also why I'm saying the weak point inside is David Edwards. Hopefully, he will improve his consistency as he gains experience. He still has lapses in his technique which is why he gave up the one and only sack. But I overtook it to a degree as it was while going against Vita Vea who is one of the top DT's in the NFL. I watched him at UW and knew he was one of the best DTs in his draft.

Overall this OL is actually playing up to the expectations of the Ram FO that assembled them. It's why the bungling of their coaching was a huge sore point for me and why I'm saying the hiring of Carberry for the OL is on the same level of trading for Stafford. Carberry has raised the level of play by the OL to that next level. He's getting the most out of his guys. I have never been a fan of Edwards at LG but if Carberry is okay with it I feel more than comfortable with Edwards and will enjoy watching him develop. He simply needs to become more consistent in his play.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead on the Carberry wanting Allen decision…

Rams43403October 01, 2021 09:29AM

"....he (Edwards) gave up the one and only sack."

RAMbler148October 01, 2021 09:44AM

Re: You win games in "THE PIT"....It's also if you know a REAL NFL FAN.

oldschoolramfan215October 01, 2021 09:56AM

43, I am with McVay, I thought Corbs would be a great center but...

Stafford9153October 01, 2021 10:04AM

Re: 43, I am with McVay, I thought Corbs would be a great center but...

joram90October 02, 2021 08:34AM

Re:thoughtful

leafnose171October 02, 2021 05:49AM