Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jordan Fuller on being a captain: 'One of my biggest achievements to this day'

September 03, 2021 12:05PM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva
September 3, 2021 5:46 am PT
Jordan Fuller has officially established himself as a leader in the Rams’ locker room after being voted one of the team’s eight captains this week. It’s a remarkable accomplishment for a sixth-round pick who’s only entering his second NFL season, but it shows how well respected he is among his teammates.

Fuller being a captain at Ohio State didn’t go unnoticed by the Rams’ coaches and front office when he was being scouted last year, and as impressive as that was, Fuller considers his captaincy in L.A. to be one of his greatest feats in football.

“It means so much. It’s probably one of my biggest achievements to this day, aside from being a captain at Ohio State,” he said Thursday. “This is huge. Love my teammates, love this team, this organization. And they get my all every day. I’m just really grateful that I was able to gain the respect of my teammates and I know it doesn’t stop here but I’m definitely really grateful.”

Jalen Ramsey is also a captain and while he’s honored to carry that title, he’s proud of the way Fuller has stepped up as a leader in the secondary, too. And despite only being in his second season, Fuller challenges Ramsey to be better, the All-Pro corner said.

“We’ve seen his growth since he stepped on the field here. It’s been special to see,” Ramsey said Thursday. “He’s taken on different roles, leadership roles, really well. So he’s not only a captain of the team, but he’s our guy in the DB room, too. I say things and I’ve got a little say, so I lead in my own way, but he challenges me even to be better, to be a better leader. I was super proud of him, super happy for him. He deserves it, honestly.”

Aaron Donald is the other captain on defense, giving the Rams a great group of leaders on that side of the ball – along with Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Matthew Stafford and Andrew Whitworth on offense. Johnny Hekker is the eighth captain, leading the special teams unit again after it appeared he could be cut or traded this week.

None of those seven players are surprising selections as captains, but to see a second-year player like Fuller earn that honor is awesome – and “extremely rare,” as Raheem Morris put it.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam136September 03, 2021 12:05PM