Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, DL Aaron Donald, RB Sony Michel, CB Jalen Ramsey - August 26, 2021

August 26, 2021 01:55PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, DL Aaron Donald, RB Sony Michel, CB Jalen Ramsey - August 26, 2021

Head Coach Sean McVay, DL Aaron Donald, RB Sony Michel, CB Jalen Ramsey
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On acquiring RB Sony Michel through a trade with the Patriots)
“It was an opportunity to acquire a really good player that's had a lot of success. He offers a physical presence to our room. We feel good about the running back situation, but some of the volatility of what (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) has gone through even just throughout the course of camp, (we) wanted to make sure you got somebody else that's played in big time games, that brings a physical presence to that room. But, I've been really pleased with what (Rcool smiley Jake Funk’s done also (Rcool smiley Xavier (Jones). Darrell is still going to have a really big role. It doesn't really change the outlook for him. We’ll see how quickly we can get (Rcool smiley Sony (Michel) up to speed.”

(On if he sees Michel being a complimentary back to RB Darrell Henderson Jr.)
“Here's what went into it, is that you've seen the body of work, you know that he's coming from a place that they're doing the little things the right way, (I have) relationships in that building that I really trust the perspective, the opinions that they have and really speak very highly of him. I'll tell you, a huge influence on it was (Running Backs Coach/Assistant Head Coach) Thomas Brown. Having worked with Sony, having a relationship, being able to have some really intimate knowledge about the human being is what you feel so good about making a decision like that. But the anticipation is that he's coming in here to contribute and to be a big factor. How big of a factor is to be determined because today was the first day we saw him and we haven't even really gotten started with him yet.”

(On what his hopes and expectations are for getting Michel up to speed)
“I would just say, ‘Just take it a day at a time.’ Fortunately, I've seen guys that are conscientious, be able to come in a short amount of time and make contributions. You look at (former Rams Rcool smiley C.J. Anderson for us a couple of years ago, what he was able to do. I think the type of teacher that Thomas Brown is will accelerate that learning curve. Everything I've heard about Sony and the way that he's wired mentally, and just the way that he goes about his business, I do anticipate him being a quick study. The goal is to have him ready to go and be a big-time contributor on the 12th.”

(On if there was any temptation to get Michel out on the practice field today)
“No, there wasn't any temptation. It wouldn't have been the most efficient usage of time. He got out there and did some things in the drill work, in the controlled settings, but that wouldn't have been fair to him. He’s traveling and stuff like that, so didn't think about that today.”

(On if he’s gotten the opportunity to talk to Michel yet)
“Not yet. We’ve kind of played phone tag. It happened so quickly. He was traveling and getting here and getting the physical. (I) knew of him, but met him for the first time out here today and looking forward to continuing to get to know him.”

(On if Michel can evolve into becoming a dominant back for the Rams)
“You never know because if you had told me that some of those games were going to come up, that wasn't necessarily part of the plan. But, you think about the games like New England, is the one that comes to mind, I didn’t anticipate us being able to run the ball that efficiently and stick with the ground game. But if you can do that, you're going to continue to activate that part of your offense. Is he capable of it? Absolutely. His track record says that. Whether that becomes exactly what happens with us or not is to be determined.”

(On what he’s seen from Ps Johnny Hekker and Corey Bojorquez)
“I've seen two guys that have performed at a really high level. Everybody knows what (P) Johnny (Hekker) has meant to this team, to me, really to our organization, and this goes along back before I even got here, but, (P) Corey (Bojorquez) has come in and he's done a nice job. We’re going to continue to evaluate that. There’s obviously a lot of complications that have kind of added to that situation just based on COVID and things of that nature that even convoluted (the situation) a little bit more.”

(On how many jobs still need to be solidified)
“I don't know if you necessarily look at it like that. You feel pretty good about what potentially could be, what our roster looks like, now how guys shaped that role for themselves. There's still a lot of things to be determined as far as that goes. I think these guys know this is an important game for a lot of guys, some of which will affect their status with our team and some it may help them with some other places. I think the goal is for us is, let's help put these guys in positions to go enjoy the opportunity to compete to the best of their ability and see what happens. But, there's a lot of situations that we feel good based on just the way that we approach it, but we've got to go do it. To say there's an exact number would be hard for me to say.”

(On what the addition of Michel brings to the running backs’ room)
“I think he adds just that. Experience, playing in the big-time games. I think he's a nice compliment to what we already have in terms of when you look at the confidence that we have in Darrell Henderson and what he's been able to do when he's been available for us. Then, like I said, I've been really pleased with what Jake Funk’s done over the last really couple weeks. (He’s) really showing great maturity for a rookie player. (He) did some really good things out here today. So, I think Sony definitely helps solidify just the foundation of that room, but what his role is, is to be determined. He’s got a track record that kind of and a resume that speaks for itself.”

(On if he will travel most of the veterans)
“We will. There’s always a couple exceptions to that rule, whether it's family stuff or whether they're injured and you keep them back. For the most part, everybody's traveling with us.”

(On what he’s seen from the younger defensive backs and DBs J.R. Reed, Brontae Harris and Dont’e Deayon)
“It’s good to get (DB Dont’e Deayon) Double D back out here and playing because he's done a really nice job. I think when you look at the corner spot, the depth behind (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey), what (Ccool smiley Darious (Williams) has done, I've really been pleased with (Ccool smiley David Long (Jr.), (Dcool smiley Robert Rochelle is really stepping up, but then you even see what an unbelievable play by (Dcool smiley Brontae Harris last week. Getting Dont’e Deayon back out here, he's such an instinctual player and you're always hearing him out here, but he's got a zest for life that you can't help but love being around. And then the safety position, (S) Jordan Fuller has really taken it and run with it and (S) Taylor Rapp, I think those two guys have done such a nice job. (I) can see (S Terrell) Burgess is still getting comfortable getting back from the injury. I've been really pleased with (Dcool smiley J.R. Reed, you look at (S) JuJu Hughes, these guys have done a lot of really good things. They’re making us some difficult decisions and not to mention (S) Nick Scott's going to be coming back pretty soon. I think he's done an outstanding job. If he can pick up where he left off. So, the depth of those rooms, at the corner and the safety positions, is exciting for us. There’s definitely going to be some really tough decisions.”

(On if there’s any long-term concern with OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo)
“There potentially could be. We're still working through that right now and what exactly comes of that is, we're kind of in the wait and see with how we respond to some of the treatment that we're going through right now.”

(On DL A’Shawn Robinson)
“(DL) A’Shawn (Robinson), he's going to have a little minor procedure on his knee, so he'll be out for the next few weeks. I’m not sure (which knee). I know a minor procedure. I can promise you it's the right or the left (laughs).”

(On if Okoronkwo’s diagnosis has changed)
“It hasn't changed. It's kind of waiting to see how he responds based on some of the meds that we've got him on. Hopefully it quiets down and calms down. That's what it's looking like. If that's the response, then it'll be better than what the possible alternative solutions would be.”

(On what he saw from the intersquad scrimmage today, specifically from QB Matthew Stafford)
“We’ve done a lot of good-on-good throughout the course of camp, but for an elongated period of time, you're right, this was one of the few times that we've done that. There was really good competitive play from both sides. His command, his ability to be able to work through progressions, understand the different situations - our defense gave him some things that we hadn't really shown yet and we didn't really prep him for it - the ability for him to recognize it, be able to get the ball where it's supposed to be. And then also, we got a really good defense that made some of their plays. It was encouraging. But his command, his ownership of what's going on in and his ability to really lead the other 10 guys around him, you can't help but get excited about feeling what that's like. He’s just getting better and we still got some time to really tighten it up as we get ready for the 12th. But, very pleased with him overall. I thought he'd had a really nice day and I continue to say it too, football's a game of momentum, but also being able to respond from adversity and the consistent, just steady demeanor that he even displayed out here after there was a couple plays where defense did a good job, that's a big deal. I thought he did a nice job of having that really show itself today as well.”

DL Aaron Donald
(On how practice has been going at this point in training camp)
“Been going (well). Just working. Trying to get better.”

(On what he hears from CB Jalen Ramsey when he is playing closer to him)
“He makes plays, but I don't really hear (anything). But he makes plays. He’s flying around. He’s all over the field. You know, that's what he’s here for.”

(On his impressions of RB Sony Michel from past experience)
“From what I’ve seen prior years – good football player. What I hear – a great football player, so, I'm just happy. So, I’m just happy he’s a part of our team now.”

(On any particular memories he has of Sony from Super Bowl LIII)
“I don’t want to talk about it.” (laughter)

(On what he feels they accomplished in practice today)
“Just good work. Get some football conditioning in – fast paced, naturally getting them long drives on and off the field – getting to simulate that. So, it was good to do that.”

(On how the defense is shaping up compared to the past)
“This year, I feel like we've been getting better. A lot of guys were flying around, playing physical with them. It has been fun to watch it honestly. No, I don't ever want to go off prior years. But this year from what I'm seeing, I'm definitely excited for where we’re at right now. Obviously, we’re not there yet. (We) have a lot more work, but I'm definitely comfortable with where we’re at and how these guys are playing right now.”

(On how QB Matthew Stafford was looking in practice today)
“(He) looks good. Looks really good – making a lot of plays, making a lot of great checks, making great throws. Same thing he has been doing all camp – making a lot of plays. That's what it's about – competing with the best and getting better.”

(On Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris)
“It's good. It's good having him here. (I’m) definitely excited for what he has been bringing in and putting in. Just ready to translate that to a football game.”

(On what he wants to do in these last two to three weeks to get even more physically and mentally ready)
“Just keep cleaning up my technique, doing what I need to do to continue to get better. (DL Sebastian Joseph-Day interrupts) Getting this guy ready, making sure he’s right to play. Just sharpening up the little things, making sure, come game time, I'm ready – from technique things from, just rushes the plan and running certain things like that. Just continue to keep working on that.”

(On how Stafford responds to negative plays)
“It’s on to the next play. He sees things and he makes great checks. When he sees us in certain things, and even if it's a bad play, it’s on to the next play. He doesn't let it affect him. So that's what you want to out of a quarterback – that has a short memory like that when things don't go right. So, you go to the next play so that you continue to play ball.”

RB Sony Michel
(On his first impressions were watching his new team)
“It was good seeing those guys having intersquad scrimmage compete today. It's always good to see guys compete, have fun doing it and that's most important.”

(On how quickly he can learn the playbook for Week 1)
That's the big goal, that's the big question. That's my goal to dive in and learn as much as I can and try to stay on it and just keep learning. That's all I can do right now.”

(On what it’s like being back on a sideline with Running Back Coach/Assistant Head Coach Thomas Brown)
“It was good. Me and knowing some of his ways, learning, getting back adjusted to what he'd do and how he’d run things. It was good kind of listening to him, listening to some of the key points and just trying to learn really.”

(On what his last two days have been like since he learned he was traded)
“Last two days kind of just been, the best way I can put it is football terminology, sudden change. It's like, something suddenly happens, and you just got to get ready to kind of execute. Not much time could be wasted. Just kind of got to get up, get ready to go and kind of get adjusted, acclimated with the new adjustment.”

(On what he remembers from playing the Rams in previous years)
“Last season playing against the Rams, we unfortunately didn’t come out on top, but it was a competitive game.”

(On what he remembers from the Superbowl)
“Oh yeah, that was another competitive game. There were some great players on that side of the ball. We had some great players and fortunately we came out on top, but now I'm on the other side, so let's see if he can make something happen.”

(On what intrigued him about the offense from what he’s seen)
“What intrigued me is some of the guys that's on the offense. Starting with the quarterback, the leadership, the running back room, some of those guys, how they compete, how they communicate on the sideline and the receivers. I'll watch them a little bit, how they execute some of their routes, the route detail. The offensive line most importantly. How those guys communicate and kind of just doing their assignments.”

(On if he was surprised when he was traded)
“I was surprised. I would assume that most people, when they're traded, they're surprised a little bit.”

(On if there is anything similar in the Rams offense that he was doing before)
“Right now, I'm still learning, so I don't know much of the similarities. For me, I see it as a whole different offense, a whole different team and different philosophy.”

(On if being traded was something he thought about during training camp)
“No. Not at all, not at all.”

(On if he has opened the playbook up and has any early impressions)
“No, not yet. Today's going to be my first day to kind of get that crack at it and I'm going to try to dive in and learn as much as I can.”

(On what he thinks he brings to the offense)
“I'm going to just try to be the best version of me, the best player I can be, whatever they ask. Whether it’s just running down, going to block somebody, catching the ball, running the ball, whatever they need me to do, I'm going to try to do as best as I can and try to fill whatever void that they need filled.”

(On what his morning was like and who has helped him around the building)
“One of the scouts, (Scouting Assistant) Ryan (Lynn), that kind of has been getting me acclimated a little bit, picked me up this morning. Had to go through a couple of things but it was smooth. Kind of what I expected and I'm looking forward to these next couple of days.”

(On what his immediate takeaways were on his sudden change)
“For me, it's all about trying to adapt as quickly as possible and that's all you can really do. You can't control it, you just got to try to adapt and just keep moving forward.”

(On if he has a relationship and has stayed in touch with RB Todd Gurley)
“Yeah, that's my guy. Me and Todd, we talked, he kind of sent me a text similar to that tweet and he kept it simple. Congratulating me on the move because I'm certain he knows what kind of system I'm coming into. So, I thought that was pretty cool.”

(On when he was told about the trade and how soon he was on a plane after)
“I was told yesterday morning and I was on a plane the first flight out really. I had some time. I really wasn’t rushed. I still had to go pack my stuff, but let's say I was told about 7:30, I was on a flight probably in the afternoon at 4:00.”

(On how he emotionally processes getting traded)
“I believe just as professionals, that's part of our jobs, to be able to process things fast and things are thrown at you. It's just like the football game. There’s things that’s thrown at you that you didn't expect. It's all about trying to process it and adapt to it, and that's all I'm trying to do right now.”

CB Jalen Ramsey
(Opening Statement)
“I only have three minutes, y’all. Let’s go.”

(On how practice went)
“It was alright. It was cool.”

(On if he is where he wants to be at this point in this training camp)
“Yeah, right now. We’ll keep getting better though.”

(On if his new role makes him feel empowered as we move closer to kickoff)
“Sometimes. I have a lot of growing to do still though.”

(On if he is eager to get into game planning mode next week)
“When it comes it’ll come.”

(On his evaluation of the offense and defense since the 1s went up against 1s in practice today)
“I don't know yet. I have to watch the film.”

(On first impressions of going against Stafford in that environment)
“Mm-mm.”

--RAMS-
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky390August 26, 2021 01:55PM

Re: Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, DL Aaron Donald, RB Sony Michel, CB Jalen Ramsey - August 26, 2021

HornsUpRamily!80August 26, 2021 02:18PM