Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead’s first impression of the Rams draft...

May 01, 2021 02:55PM
He doesn’t sugarcoat it.

Here’s oldnotdead...

I knew going it this was a draft unlike any other, that the Snead and McVay pretty much said they feel the roster is set and have alluded to that for a while now. I knew that in their minds it was about rotational players who might end up starters and developmental players for the future. So with that in mind, I watched the draft unfold. This is my impression of the players noted soon after they were announced. Hopefully, I'm wrong about a few of them in terms of their ability to contribute.

By enlarge I'm not unhappy with the draft as they did come away with some high potential rookies like Atwell, Rochell, and Harris, and some intriguing players like Skowronek, and Garrett.

WR Tutu Atwell - Should see some snaps this season. McVay's young Desean Jackson. We will see if he can realize that expectation.

ILB Ernest Jones - I don't see anything that separates him from guys they already have. ILB is a part-time position. He's slower than the guys starting and Moncrief. He's going to have to earn it on STs or it's PS for him.

DT Bobby Brown III - Strictly a developmental pick. Looking forward as a possible 1T in 2023. Too raw to play this year. Another possible Sebas type of DL except he might be able to disengage from blocks.

CB Robert Rochell - A sleeper pick IMO. A chance to play some snaps this year. He's the Rams replacement for Troy Hill, but a much better player overall with outstanding speed for the position.

TE Jacob Harris - Somewhat raw but a possible future starter and TE terror due to his size and exceptional speed. A match-up nightmare.

DL Earnest Brown IV - Not sure where he fits in. Raw needs a lot of work, but more importantly, he's slow if expected to play DE and not quick enough to play 3T.

RB Jake Funk - Looks like an injury waiting to happen. Unless they think they can coach him up to play FB he might not make the roster.

WR Ben Skowronek - Seems too slow to make this WR roster, but has shown blocking ability. Is this their lead blocker? Interesting pick. He definitely has the size and the ability to catch those lead blocker passes.

Edge Chris Garrett - Lacks long speed but has an explosive first step (which was lacking in Brockers). Shows the ability work with his hands. Definitely a developmental prospect better than the average end of the draft pick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2021 02:56PM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead’s first impression of the Rams draft...

Rams43392May 01, 2021 02:55PM

Memento has thoughts on this Rams draft...

Rams43179May 01, 2021 03:03PM