Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assuming Goff remains a Ram, Oline and deep threat WR must be obtained

January 23, 2021 10:00AM
I think we have to begin by acknowledging that Goff is one thing only: a classic drop back passer. A drop back passer with little to no scrambling skills (like Tom Brady) MUST have great weapons and MUST have a really good Oline. On the other hand what makes good scramblers/running QBs valuable is that the Oline doesn't have to be great. The problem is, the Rams have sunk a lot into Goff. And if they are going to cash in on their investment then they have to build the offense based on what he can... and can't.....do.

Second, a play action passer needs a really good #1 and #2 RB. It seems like we have those. But the same issue applies: we need a strong run blocking Oline.

Therefore, I think in one form or another we'll see the Rams use their top draft capital for Oline, beginning with OC (maybe LT). They might go with a FA OC for a year or 2 with a guy like Mack. But they'll be looking for a starter.

The alternative for the Rams is to go another direction at QB (Wolford according to Jourdan is seriously liked by the Rams and McVay, not as an incentive for Goff but as a potentially good NFL starting Qcool smiley. If that's the case, they probably still need an upgrade at OC, but can probably make do with what they have elsewhere.

The good news is that according to PFF, Huddle, and our own draft gurus, it's a pretty good year for OC draft candidates, and if we were to use our 2nd round pick.... maybe even our 3rd..... for that position, we stand a good chance of getting a rookie starter and an upgrade from what we have there now.

Bottom line: what the Rams do about deep threat WR and Oline might to tell us a lot about where they're going at the QB position.That said, I personally think OC is a really big need whichever way they go.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Assuming Goff remains a Ram, Oline and deep threat WR must be obtained

RockRam412January 23, 2021 10:00AM

Re: Assuming Goff remains a Ram, Oline and deep threat WR must be obtained

Rampage2K-265January 23, 2021 10:12AM

Re: Assuming Goff remains a Ram, Oline and deep threat WR must be obtained

Ramsdude274January 23, 2021 10:25AM

I want Scherff

merlin215January 23, 2021 10:34AM

Re: I want Scherff

leafnose146January 23, 2021 04:24PM

Re: I want Scherff