Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Keys to the game vs the Pack

January 13, 2021 04:10AM
When I dissect this game, I listen first and post later. The analyst I trust is a former QB who was there when McVay and LaFluer were together in the first year of the Rams resurgence.

When Dan Orlovsky says the Rams got away from disguising different options with the same play structure, he is correct. What he doesn't say is that it stopped working because defenses figured out the options for the most part. Therefore, Sean had to mix up the formations and personnel packages. There have been times when doing so has revitalized the running game. Dan's point remains that now those same change ups need to expand DIFFERENT play action options.

LaFluer has also expanded his concepts since he and McVay were together largely because Rodgers has his own ideas of how the offense should run. They are very good with both the run and the pass. Nevertheless, both coaches run similar concepts but have different strengths based on personnel. There will be some wrinkles, but it will come down to how well the OLines do against their competition. With that said, here are the keys.

1. The Rams defense MUST have early success. If the Packers can get either early explosives or establish the run, the Ram offense cannot catch them. But if the Rams can shake the Packer's confidence and establish a running attack themselves...they have a chance to control the game.

2. McVay realizes he couldn't continue to contract the offense and therefore thwart the ability to run. The last two games have featured more downfield attempts. That's fine as long as those attempts don't produce turnovers. Beyond gameplans and great plays, turnovers will likely be the deciding factor.

3. The Rams are finally facing a Special Teams unit that's nearly as bad as their own. This may be the most unpredictable factor. My hope is that Hekker is used as a game changing weapon for the first time this year because they've been saving it.

4. What happens when Devonte gets a win against Jalen? Adams is better than DK and Hopkins. He and Rodgers have an incredible chemistry and will find Ramsey's tendencies and exploit them. Will that cause Jalen to soften his approach or Staley to adjust his scheme? Stay tuned.

5. Will AD, Floyd, Fox, and the crew get home before the explosives happen downfield? The Packers losing their left tackle is HUGE. If they really play Veldheer at LT, he is good but will his chemistry with the rest of the OLine be good enough? I contend that no less than DLine dominance by the Rams is essential for them to win.

6. What is McVay's plan if the Packers load up to stop the run? D Henry went for 98 yards with a 4.2 average late in December. But when the Packers took an early lead, it didn't matter. Know this, the Packers WILL force the Ram QB to make plays.

Earlier this year, the Bucs stymied the Ram running game. McVay countered with shotgun and empty sets and Goff did pretty well. But this Saturday, that would be a recipe for disaster. No, this time, come hell or high water, McVay must not abandon the run. I will repeat my mantra since the last loss to the 9'ers...the run blocking schemes have to become more multiple. Powers and traps will have to be part of the plan for the Rams to succeed.

7. The Rams have to lead at the half but in this game, the outcome is not as certain because LaFluer has Rodgers and they will adjust. McVay's penchant to play it close to the vest once he gets a lead is a fool's errand in this game. This one will test his huevos, I promise you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2021 04:26AM by Leoram.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Keys to the game vs the Pack

Leoram420January 13, 2021 04:10AM

"Close to the vest" with a lead. NO DOUBT!

Ramgator163January 13, 2021 04:20AM

Ramsey vs. Adams

21Dog180January 13, 2021 04:36AM

Re: Keys to the game vs the Pack

zn147January 13, 2021 07:00AM

biggest key is get a halftime lead!!!

Rampage2K-149January 13, 2021 07:18AM

Re: biggest key is get a halftime lead!!!

Leoram143January 13, 2021 11:04AM

Re: biggest key is get a halftime lead!!!

LMU9395January 14, 2021 04:12AM

Rams43124January 13, 2021 07:41AM

Not so sure on pulling out all the tricks.....

roman18130January 13, 2021 11:29AM

A few comments on Rams/Packers from another board...

Rams43346January 13, 2021 11:14AM

Re: A few comments on Rams/Packers from another board...

Leoram148January 14, 2021 03:59AM

Titans D is not good...

Ramsfsninmd116January 14, 2021 04:22AM

merlin260January 13, 2021 12:20PM