Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - January 3, 2021 Head Coach Sean McVay, QB John Wolford, Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury, Cardinals QB Kyler Murray and Cardinals QB Chris Streveler

January 03, 2021 05:24PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -
January 3, 2021
Head Coach Sean McVay, QB John Wolford, Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury, Cardinals QB Kyler Murray and Cardinals QB Chris Streveler

Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Remarks)
“Great team win right there. I just can’t say enough about the defense, the way that they played. To be able to come away with a safety, a scored touchdown that gave us the lead, to be able to get the blocked field goal, they are unbelievable all day. They’ve been unbelievable all year. They’ve really been the strength of this team and I thought they showed up in a big way. Offensively, I think we’ve got to do a much better job of finishing drives in the red area. I liked the way we moved it. I thought after the first throw of the game, (Qcool smiley John Wolford was the star offensively. He made plays. We have to continue to make plays around him. I just thought his movement, his athleticism, some of the things where he recognized coverage, he’s hitting (Rcool smiley Cam Akers, he’s hitting (TE) Tyler Higbee down the sidelines when corners are kind of coming off and not honoring the deep part of the field. This guy’s resilience showed up in a big way. I was really impressed with him. But I was proud of this team. I thought (P) Johnny Hekker came up in a big way, being able to just pin them deep, kind of playing a field position game. But ultimately, we’ll take the win. I’m really proud of this team. They responded the way that I thought that they would and to be able to get 10 wins and then to get ourselves a chance to get in the tournament, that’s all you can ask for.”

(On if quarterback John Wolford will be the starting next week when they play the Seattle Seahawks)
“You know what, we will talk about that, but I thought he did a great job today. He made plays. I know there is guys around him that are capable of making some of those and I expect those guys to be able to do that but I thought that he really gave us a chance offensively with the amount of plays that he made in the pass game with his legs, athleticism, being able to extend things, I thought he was outstanding against a really tough defense that came ready to go. I was really pleased with John.”

(On how much quarterback John Wolford’s running changed the game)
“I thought it really got us going. You look at the one drive where we ended up having to settle for a field goal. The thing that really is disappointing, but the guys continue to battle, is when you end up having two red zone drives. We’re, in essence, inside the two-yard line and you only come away with 3 points total. We’ve got to be better than that. But I thought on the first scoring drive that we did have, (Qcool smiley John (Wolford’s) ability to extend on the 3rd down and 10, convert with his legs, that’s a big winning edge for us. That was a factor all day and you can just see some of the different things that you’re able to do with him really showed up and I thought he did a great job.”

(On when quarterback John Wolford was off schedule, what he saw from him)
“I think his ability to see the field and extend plays. The one that stands out to me is the first 3rd down and 10 conversion, where he dropped back, he kind of gets flushed, they play a split-safety zone, gets flushed to his left and then ends up being able to put his foot in the ground and convert. Some of those things are bigtime deals. Even just being able to extend some of the bootlegs where he finds (WR) Van Jefferson on the cross, or where typically those things, the ball kind of has to come out. So, I thought it showed up in a big way really on all three downs. He gave us a chance in a big way today.”

(On quarterback John Wolford giving energy and life to the sideline)
“Yeah, you heard the way the guys talked about him all week. I think the one play that I really felt the sideline was in the four-minute when he ends up running the zone, when he ends up running the zone read and puts his shoulder down and gives us a first down. So that, in essence, when they get the ball back there’s 29 seconds and no timeouts. He did a great job, but those were the kind of plays that he made really all day. I thought it was impressive the way that he responded. Not the ideal first pass for him, but I did think that sometimes you can really learn a lot about guys with how they respond. I thought he settled in nicely. In essence, we really put the game in his hands offensively and I thought he did a nice job. We want to come away with more points but sustaining drives, keeping the defense off the field with the way they were playing all day, I was really pleased with John.”

(On how much it changed his confidence when quarterback John Wolford threw the quick pick to start the game)
“It really didn’t. He has a nice way about himself. He thought he saw something. It was just a little mistake. And then we came back to a very similar play and he got the look that we wanted and ripped it to (WR) Josh Reynolds on a bigtime slant from the two-spot in an empty. So, I think it didn’t change much other than putting our defense in a tough spot to start the game after they end up getting the first stop of the game. He learned from it, but it didn’t change my confidence in him, and I think you could see that with the way that we called the game.”

(On how he feels about playing the Seattle Seahawks next week)
“I think they’re a great team who I respect, but I couldn’t be more excited about the opportunity to go compete and see if we can put our best game plan together, go lay it out there in all three phases, and that’s exactly what we’re going to do. I can’t wait to get started on it.”

(On how he feels they ran the football today)
“Really outside of (Qcool smiley John (Wolford), I didn’t think we ran the ball particularly well. I didn’t think we got great movement. I have to do a better job of making sure that I’m activating certain plays. (Qcool smiley John (Wolford) averaged 9.3 per carry. Other than that (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) had 3 for 20. He had a big-time 3rd and long conversion and then the other ones were kind of in those longer yardage situations. But, (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) had 19 carries, some tough yards, but we have to do a better job of creating movement and giving a little bit more space and that’s not exclusive to the players. It starts with me with some of the play selections.”

(On if it’s important to get rushing attempts)
“I think so. Running the clock, being able to keep our defense off the field with the way that they were able to just get them off the field on third down time in and time out, the way they were really able to hold them, kind of became more of a possession-type game. But like I said, we expect to win some of these games moving forward, going to Seattle next week, we have to finish those drives in the red area. That was something that hurt us when we played them the previous week and that’s going to be a big focal point, point of emphasis, and I trust that we’ll get it fixed.”

(On if he expects quarterback Jared Goff will play next week)
“I’m not sure on that right now.”

(On what it means for his team to get back to the playoffs)
“It’s great. I love this team. It has certainly been a lot of highs and then there has been some tough times that we had to really navigate through, but I love the way that the team handled this week. I love the way they rallied around (Qcool smiley John (Wolford). Some of the absences, you talk about missing (WR) Cooper Kupp, (DT) Michael Brockers, (Rcool smiley Darrell Henderson going down, (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff). So, those are some big shoes to fill. We’ve had (OT) (Andrew) Whitworth absent for the last handful of weeks since the first Seattle game. I just love the way guys have stepped up, raised their level of play. They did that today and it ultimately enabled us to get our 10th win to get in this thing. Now let’s go see if we can do something special.”

(On going back to Seattle, and what kind of opportunity that is)
“Unbelievable. I don’t think you can ask for much more. Great team in our division, we know each other, and I’m excited to be able to go up there and give it our best shot.”

QB John Wolford
(On how he was able to bounce back from the early interception)
“That was a bad throw, bad decision. I held my eyes for a second trying to get an in-breaker on some leverage. You can’t make that throw but it was almost like once I threw it, I settled in. Learn from that, watch the film and then move on.”

(On what his experience was like in his first NFL start)
“I had a lot of fun to be honest. A little anxious going in if I’m being 100% honest. Once I got rolling, I was just playing football again. It was fun that we got to the win. There’s obviously a ton of room for improvement. I missed a few throws, got to convert in the red zone, but overall, I’m just happy we got the win. We’re in the playoffs and moving on to the next game.”

(On the third down run shortly after the interception)
“Once I came out after that pick, I felt good. I told them on the sideline ‘Hey, I’m good, don’t worry about me.’ I had that throw to (WR) Van (Jefferson), missed him by a foot but I was seeing the field better and then converted that first down. They were in two man and didn’t have anyone for me. Just got in a rhythm and we were just moving the ball efficiently throughout the day. Obviously, again I keep saying this, we have to convert in the red zone. I felt good out there. I felt comfortable. I didn’t feel overwhelmed.”

(On the frequency of empty backfields in the game plan)
“Yeah I enjoy being in empty. I like being able to see the field, how bodies disperse so that was something we felt like was an advantage for us so we activated it a good amount today and it worked out well.”

(On what family was watching the game and what conversations we like leading up to the game)
“Obviously my parents, my aunt and uncle, who I’m extremely close with, my brother and my sister. I think everyone in my family. I’m the third youngest of 18 cousins. I’m sure everyone was tuned in. I had texts during the week. I have to respond to my texts. I have like 350 texts that I haven’t responded to so I’ll do that on the ride home.”

(On if his mobility helps him settle into games)
“I think getting hit is a good thing sometimes to get you settled into a game. When I activated those runs, got a first down there on that 3rd down, it just felt good. It’s something where I have the athleticism to do it and if it helps us win, I’m going to do it.”

(On his expectations for what happens next week with the starting quarterback situation)
“No. I’m here to do a job. I have no idea where he’s at. I’m just trying to enjoy this win and then I’ll put my head down and work on Seattle starting tomorrow but no info on that.”

(On the celebrations after making the playoffs and if it was different than it would be for any other game)
“Well I’ve never won a game, so I don’t know what the normal congratulations feels like. If that’s my first one, then I’ll use that as a barometer and let you know if it changes.”

(On what gave him the composure to tell his teammates that he was good on the sideline moments after throwing his first interception)
"I just knew that I prepared well. I felt good throwing the ball. The ball was spinning out of my hand and it almost like settled me in, in a weird way. I remember when I was in high school, we were playing a good team and I threw a pick the first play of the game and then came back and played great, so I was kind of thinking about that. That’s football, there is ups and downs, you’re going to make bad decisions. (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) always says this thing to me, he says, ‘Pace, it’s performance after a critical error.’ You just kind of reset yourself and move onto the next play because you can’t change what just happened."

(On if he can tell how much his teammates rallied around him today)
"Absolutely, yeah. I think the defense played unbelievable. We got a block on special teams, guys were fired up, we had energy throughout the entire game. I’m grateful for all the guys that stepped up and made plays. It was a team win across the board and I just love this organization. I’m happy they have given me a shot."

(On if he has decided if he’s going to delete his LinkedIn account)
"You know I said that almost as a joke. If I’m being smart, the reality is football ends at some point, hopefully it’s in 20 years. So, I’ll probably keep it active. I’m 1-0 with it active so we’ll just keep it up."

(On how the team fixes the red zone inefficiency and what was working for him on deep passes to complete three 20-plus yard completions)
"To your first question, red zone efficiency, we’ve got to go back to work. We can’t have penalties, we’re on second-and-1 on the one and then we take two penalties to go to second-and-11. When you get on that 10, 11-yard range, it’s hard because the field condenses and then it’s like, ‘Do you run it on first down and then it’s second-and-8.’ I have to be better down there. I had a misread there. I threw one out the back of the endzone where I had (TE) Gerald (Everett) when they were in cover zero and then there were things that I could have done better to make us more efficient. You go back, you watch the film. You learn from it and then you move on. There were a few times where their corners were a little jumpy on some out-breakers, trying to make some plays off my eyes and I had a pretty good feel for it and I saw them trigger and both times we were able to hit (TE Tyler Higbee) ‘Higgs’ on one and then (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) on the other down the sideline. A few throws I wish I had back, but all in all we got the win and I’m happy with that."

(On what winning a regular season NFL game with a lot on the line does for his confidence going forward)
"It definitely helps with the anxiety before the game. I just feel like you’re always like, ‘I can play, I can play, I can play.’ But until you do it, there’s a little bit of apprehension, if I’m being candid. I felt great out there, started making plays. It’s one game, but I know the next time I play I’ll have half the amount of nerves and I’m grateful for that to be honest."

Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury
(On what his take is on everything and if he will look back and wonder what could have been)
"Today there was quite a few unfortunate events out there, but you got to give LA credit. I thought they had a good plan with the quarterback (John Wolford) and executed it. They have a very good defense and made plays when they had to. I thought our guys played hard all year, we’re competitive and played to win. Just came up short today and like I said, got to give LA a lot of credit."

(On how serious (Qcool smiley Kyler Murray’s injury was and why he didn’t come in earlier)
"Yeah, I think it was pretty significant. We’ll see how it feels moving forward, but he just needed to loosen it up. He hurt it and wasn’t able to push off there for a while. He continued to work on it, the trainers continued to work with him and he got to a point where he felt it was bearable and came back in, which was impressive. You saw when he got back in the spark he gave us. We were able to move the ball some. Obviously, we weren’t able to finish like we needed to but I was really proud of him. That’s gutty, especially for a guy who uses his legs like he does, to hop back in and try to help his team make the playoffs.”

(On his thoughts on not having (Qcool smiley Brett Hundley on the active roster)
"Yeah, that’s how it’s been every game this season, so we continue that. We told (Qcool smiley Murray he was good to go, had a good week at practice. It wasn’t the same injury."

(On if there was any thought on putting Kyler Murray back in the game with playoffs on the line)
“Ultimately, he did. We made sure that he was in a place that we didn’t feel like he could injure himself further. He started feeling better and so he wanted to go and give it a try.”

(On what he had seen from (Qcool smiley Chris Streveler from camp and practices that might not have been apparent today)
“He had just made plays and handled himself really well. This is a tough spot to be thrown into the game obviously without ever having any preseason football, not getting in a ton of reps throughout the season and zero game reps. But I thought it was an unfortunate event that at the end of the half we thought they jumped, we thought it was a free play, still got to protect the ball but we’ll have to look at that and see there. But we had our opportunities and I thought he came in and handled himself.”

(On what the message was in the locker room after the game)
"I’ll leave that in the locker room, but obviously incredibly proud of that group. We made strides. There’s no question as an organization, we are not where we want to be, but the competitiveness from year one to year two definitely stepped up and I thought, like I said earlier, each and every week we had a chance and the guys believed we could win the games, we just didn’t get it done enough as a group and we have to keep pushing and keep getting better."

(On what kind of carry over the end of this season will bring to next season)
"I don’t really understand your question, but like I said, we made strides and that’s in the right direction and we have to continue to get pieces around (Qcool smiley Kyler Murray and continue to build it the right way. A couple games here and there we were right where we wanted to be, we just have to learn from these and keep moving forward."

(On what he saw from (Qcool smiley John Wolford)
"I thought he played tough. Made enough plays to win the game. When he had to use his legs, I thought Rams Head Coach Sean McVay had a good plan for him. It was impressive to see him handle himself like that in his first start."

(On how he evaluates what the offense does when multiple players are missing)
"You just got to find a way. We all knew it was by any means necessary and unfortunately, we didn’t make enough plays. Had some tough calls go against us that ended up being huge plays in the game, but we have to find a way to make enough plays. We gave them nine points offensively with that interception returned and Safety, it just wasn’t good enough."

(On what his level of disappointment is with the season)
"I’m just proud of our guys and their effort all year. I thought they fought their tails off and gave us everything they had each week."

(On if he had any regrets with not going with (Qcool smiley Brett Hundley)
"Not at all."

Cardinals QB Kyler Murray
(On how his ankle is feeling and what was the decision like to go back in the game)
“I wish I could have come in earlier. Right now, it really doesn't matter how my ankle feels. I don't have anything to look forward to as far as moving around on it. So, I’ll be fine.”

(On how he hurt his ankle and what the medical staff did to help him return to the game)
“It was the second, third down. I got landed on in an awkward situation. It's unfortunate and the game obviously plays out a lot differently, I feel like, but it is what it is. That's the hand we got dealt. Like I said, I wish I could have come back earlier to try to make an impact quicker.”

(On how tough it is knowing they were so close to the playoffs)
“It's really tough. It still goes back to winning the games you're supposed to win and you're not putting yourself in this position, granted we still had an opportunity today to put ourselves in the playoffs. Me personally, obviously what happened today, not being able to play for majority of the game sucks. It is what it is, but again, I feel like I know we are a playoff team. I know what we're capable of, but that's just something that kept holding us back all year, us hurting ourselves and it came back to bite us for sure.”

(On how the season ending will impact the offseason)
“You just have to use it as motivation. I know what type of guy I am. I know what type of a player I am. I don't really need a lot to motivate me. So, I know what type of intensity, what type of want to that drives me. I think as a team it should motivate us a lot.”

(On what he had to adjust in his game after returning from his injury)
“I was fine. Obviously, I wasn't 100 percent, but at that point in the game it really didn't matter.”

(On what needs to change in the offseason and going into next year)
“I think part of it is going through it, learning how to win and some other reasons that I don't care to break down right now. We just have to be better in all phases. I hope this motivates us as an organization. It’s an ugly feeling and nobody wants to feel like this, especially when we've all talked about it. We've kind of shot ourselves in the foot. I feel like we should already be in the playoffs, but we're not. So, it is what it is.”

(On if he tried to return to the game earlier)
“I wasn't going to go in if I couldn't get myself - avoid anything, if I was hurting myself or hurting the team by going in because I couldn't move. So, I had to let some things kick in and then once I did, that was when I decided to go in.”

(On how missing WR Larry Fitzgerald and WR Christian Kirk affected the game)
“Nothing. I had the utmost confidence in those guys that were on the field. (WR) KeeSean (Johnson), (WR) Trent (Sherfield) – the past two years that I've been here, they've been here. So, it wasn't like I didn't know what they were capable of. I know what they're capable of. I just wasn't able to be out there.”

Cardinals QB Chris Streveler
(On the team thinking the pick six was a free play)
"Yeah, I mean, exactly like he said. Had a hard count - thought we got them to jump. That's how we coach it, you know, snap the ball if we think they jump. Thought we had a free play, tried to put the ball in play, give them a chance and just didn't get the call on that."

(On what was going through his mind when he was called into the game)
"I mean, just getting with (Offensive Assistant/Assistant Quarterbacks Coach) Cam (Turner), QB coach and just talking through things and talking through the game plan and just trying to stay within myself and manage the game and make plays when available. You know, putting a lot of work throughout the week to be ready. That's the job is the backup and I felt like I was today and just didn't make enough plays, bottom line."

(On how many reps he had in practice this week)
"As the backup, you don't get a ton of reps with the first-string offense, but I do get a lot of reps in the scout team. For me, I try to take those reps as serious as possible and make them as game-like and go through my reads. I do that and throw some routes on air with guys and things like that. Like I said, as the backup it's your job to be ready regardless of reps and practice and stuff like that."

(On if he was wondering throughout the game if he would be going out for the next series or if QB Kyler Murray would be back)
"I knew he was kind of working through an injury, but when I was going in, I was just kind of focused on what we had to do as an offense. When he was ready to go, then obviously he was going to go. For me, I just wanted to stay mentally ready and prepare to go in and then if he's good to go, then obviously he'll go. For me, I just wanted to be ready to go in every series until he was good."

(On if there was any confusion when he was coming out and Murray was going back in)
"I had a short conversation with (Qcool smiley Kyler (Murray) and I think he said he was good to go. Just talking to QB coach and everyone just saying stay ready and stuff like that. So, that's why I was throwing and just staying ready, because someone coming in that got injured earlier in the game, you never know what's going to happen. So, he did say that he was going to go back in."

(On what was going through his mind after the loss and how will he deal with it in the offseason)
"Obviously it didn't go the way that I would have hoped for it to go or anyone would have hoped for it to go. For me, I'm just going to use this experience and learn from it, use it to motivate me through the offseason and come back a better player because of it. Any experience you get is always going to help you and I'm just going to use this to build off of and come back a better football player."

(On having WR Larry Fitzgerald and WR Christian Kirk out of the game and how that changes the receiving corps)
"I mean I've got faith in every single guy out there. It doesn't matter if we got guys down, I know that those guys put in a lot of work throughout the week and they're going to be ready to go. So, you know, I've got faith in every single player on our roster. That's what that is."

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - January 3, 2021 Head Coach Sean McVay, QB John Wolford, Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury, Cardinals QB Kyler Murray and Cardinals QB Chris Streveler

Shaky453January 03, 2021 05:24PM

McVay's eyes wide open?

BumRap307January 03, 2021 06:12PM

Re: McVay's eyes wide open?

zn280January 03, 2021 07:55PM

Re: McVay's eyes wide open?

dzrams232January 03, 2021 09:36PM

Wolford opened many eyes

max202January 04, 2021 01:36AM

Re: My thoughts exactly...

dzrams238January 04, 2021 06:40AM