Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts December 31, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell and DL Aaron Donald Head Coach Sean McVay

December 31, 2020 05:26PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts
December 31, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell and DL Aaron Donald
Head Coach Sean McVay

(On if DL Michael Brockers will miss Sunday’s game due to being placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list)
“Yeah, that's the most likely scenario.”

(On was this the situation he was referring to yesterday when speaking to media)
“No. There's a lot of different things that are going on, a lot of different moving parts, but that's really what this year has entailed and having to handle it. I think the thing that's unfortunate is that guys like (DL) Michael (Brockers) and (WR) Cooper (Kupp), that are on the COVID list, that have really done everything right – that's what you just realize, that some of these things are out of your control. There are certain things that, not with those two, but maybe people have made decisions that are putting themselves at risk, but both of those guys have epitomized handling things the right way. That's what's really just unfortunate in such a big game and they're two key leaders. But they've been kind of involved from afar and I think their leadership, in their rooms and really with our team in general, has made us feel confident that the next people that will step up will do a nice job, really because of the way they pour into their teammates.”

(On if there is a possibility that other players could be placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 ist due to contact tracing)
“I don't anticipate that. I'm kind of learning about this on the fly as we kind of navigate through the new experiences, day-in and day-out. But I do not expect anybody else to be a factor of this with where we're at right now.”

(On if he expected more of the team to test positive due to a national and regional surge)
“I mean, just the surge in the area and you realize, these guys do a lot of stuff as far as their prep work to prepare and to feel as good as possible for the game. I mean, it might be something as seamless as you have a masseuse and the masseuse might not realize they were exposed to something. And even if they tested, there's still a latency period. Then they might end up having it and they got their test and it said negative, so you feel good about getting a massage. There's a lot of different things and I think it's why it's flipped our world upside down. So, I think our guys have handled it. We want to educate our guys as much as we can and still enable them to be able to live their lives, but use the appropriate measures. I think these are two instances where they're certainly not at fault. It's just more of a victim of the circumstances more than anything.”

(On how practice went for QB John Wolford)
“He did a really nice job. He had great command, handled things really well. It was a step in the right direction.”

(On RB Cam Akers)
“He looked good moving around early on. He didn't participate in practice, but he was getting a workout in. You guys saw him on the early parts of the field, so he's feeling good. I certainly am not ready to rule my man (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) out by any stretch.”

(On the process of onboarding QB Blake Bortles and his knowledge of the offense)
“He's good. He has a great recall. He's a really smart player that's had a lot of experiences in this league. Foundationally our information and our verbiage are very similar to what it was last year. So, he's come in and handled things really well. It’s been great having (Qcool smiley Blake (Bortles) around.”

(On if he needs Akers to practice Friday and Saturday in order for him to feel comfortable playing him on Sunday)
“You’d ideally like that, but I think with the amount of experience that he's gotten as of late, if you can have him in any capacity, you feel good about that. I do trust the way that he's preparing, and I know (Running Backs Coach) Thomas (Brown) is meeting with him and getting some above-the-neck mental reps. So, you'd like to be able to get him some physical reps, but I think the approach that we'll take this week will be use every moment that we have leading up to game time to make sure that you get him as healthy as possible and let's not put him at risk for any potential setbacks. So, if he is able to go, it'll be one of those deals that we'll find out on game day, but don't expect it to be any physical reps for him this week throughout the course of practice.”

(On how important Sunday is to determine Akers availability)
“It's important. I mean, we have to move forward as if worst case, you don't have him. So that's where (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown), (Rcool smiley Xavier Jones, ‘Ray’ (RB Raymond Calais) - those guys are getting a lot of invaluable reps, but Cam is right out there. He's gotten a bunch of work, like I mentioned, especially after the bye week, the production kind of speaks for itself. Because of that experience that he's accumulated, you definitely don't minimize the importance of practice, especially for a younger player, but having him in any capacity, if he feels like he's able to go, that's going to be a good thing for the Rams.”

(On what it's like to have a lack of control over situations around COVID)
"I mean, I think it's the epitome of controlling and worrying about the things that you can control and I think if you go in with the expectation and understanding that things can change at a moment's notice and you've got to have that flexibility, the guys have to adjust whether you're meeting virtually, whether you're missing practice reps. I mean, there's been a lot of different things that we've had to navigate through, but that's consistent with the other 31 teams as well. I just think that's a part of what this year entails and really just in general, you've got to be able to adjust and adapt whether it's injuries. Really for us, I mean, we've had different things out here outside of COVID. I mean, a lot of the practices that we're having down at SoFi (Stadium) have nothing to do with COVID, it’s the dang weather out here, where it's so windy and before I jumped on this call, I'm maybe having to make adjustments for tomorrow because it's supposed to have 30 to 40 mile an hour winds for tomorrow. So, it's just a part of it. I just think you've got to be able to handle it accordingly and just seamlessly, keep it moving forward with what's important and those are the things that you can control in a year that has more uncontrollables than ever."

(On if contact tracing is ongoing)
"Yes, so what I would say is, when you look at the work that goes on behind the scenes, like if (Vice President, Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie Scott got on here and explained to you guys the amount of work that goes on when you do end up having a positive, then you rerun it to confirm it's a positive, then you do a PCR test the next day, then you start having to interview people, then you use the Kinexon information to try to track that and then you get with the league and all that stuff. I mean, it is amazing what a great job the people behind the scenes have done to just help us even get this thing off. So, we are done with that, because that's immediately done and it's right after the fact, and that's where it's important to do it immediately, so that if there are those high contact traces, they're immediately removed from the ecosystem, to try to limit the exposure. And so, I kind of have been educated by Reggie, but the more I learn, the more I appreciate how many people are doing a bunch of great work behind the scenes to enable us to even get this thing off."

(On if he is surprised the league made it to Week 17 considering the pandemic)
"Yeah, it's a good question. I don't know if you want to say surprised, but I've just been impressed with the amount of work that's gone on. Especially, when you see, like I've mentioned before, how volatile it is when it hits. You’ve seen some of the other teams that have had really tough situations where it really gets through your building. But fortunately for us, the ones that we've had, while they've been tough, it hasn't been something that's monumental where it goes through a bunch of people at once. I think it is a real credit to some of the protocols and I think the flexibility that's been ongoing by the league and all 32 teams. We've had to move a couple of games, but to not miss any. Now here we are in Week 17. It's amazing, it really is.”

(On if he feels that the Rams have been affected less by COVID than many other teams)
“Well, I think we're always in the moment and kind of dealing with what's going on in the present. So, certainly you feel like it's gotten us pretty good right now. But, it's one of those deals, you’ve got to handle it. Guys will be asked to step up and there's something to be said for kind of bonding together and being strong in the face of adversity. Let's go compete to the best of our ability and not be afraid to see what happens if we put everything we've got into it.”

(On if he has any plans for New Year’s Eve)
“Yeah. Getting the red-zone plan ready to go so we can score some more points.”

(On if he’s happy to turn the page on 2020)
“You know, I just look at it as I have no life during the season, so, I'm getting ready for Week 17. Until you said it, I had no clue that it was the 31st and I'm looking down and it's New Year's Eve. You know what it is? It's a Thursday in our game-week preparation, trying to go get our 10th win. Let’s go.”

(On if he has a New Year’s resolution)
“New year's resolution - start the year off with a win.”

Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell

(On if the approach this week is different with a different starting quarterback)
"Yeah, I mean, obviously when you've got a starter that you're getting ready to play, I spent a lot of my time with that guy. But what's made our group really special this whole year is having a guy like (Qcool smiley John (Wolford) as our No. 2, with the way he works and the way he prepares and always willing to put in extra time here and there when we can find it to spend some time together on the field post practice or in the meeting rooms or on some Zooms when we have to. It's kind of just been an extension of that. Then obviously, now just getting him prepared to practice and getting him ready to be at his best as the week goes on here. Then just keeping him in a place where he feels confident, because he should based upon his work ethic and his preparation. Just build up a lot of positive momentum towards the weekend.”

(On if they can do anything different on offense with Wolford’s skillset)
“The good thing is because of his preparation week-in and week-out, like he was the starter, he prepares every week. We go through scenarios where he has his favorite plays and preferred plays and things throughout each game plan, that really won't change all that much this week. Obviously, we'll want to call those things and get those things going for him. I think his skillset provides us with a lot of opportunity. But, at the same time, the reason why he's here is he fits our offense, what we do. I think that's a real positive and speaks highly of John as a guy. He maybe lacks experience, but at the same time, like I keep on talking about, it's not coach speak, it's not anything other than just speaking the truth about his preparation and his accountability towards his role on this team as our No. 2. Then if he was ever called upon, to a man, all 53 guys on our roster being confident John can take that preparation to the game.”

(On if Wolford’s height is a concern for game planning)
“I think you always want to be calling plays that guys are comfortable with, that fit their eye. A lot of ways we'll go through the preparation and the process of putting in a plan where we think we're doing that for him. But, if the plays where John feels the best are plays where the ball is distributed over the middle of the field, or outside, it really comes down to his particular feel for a play within the concept that we've kind of put together as part of our game plan. You always want to do some things for some young quarterbacks that make them a little bit more comfortable, getting them into a rhythm. We do that for (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) tried to do that as much as possible as well on a week-in and week-out basis. I know that there's some really talented players in the league right now who aren't my height and I'm sitting here coaching. So, I can tell you that I don't think that's as much of a big deal as maybe it was a perception. The perception of that just by the guys in this league that are doing it at a high level, no matter how tall they are.”

(On what Goff needs to do to play with more consistency)
“Really, it's the last two games, turnover. There was one with each team where you're looking at that frustrated, because I thought he did get off to a good start, especially on third down against Seattle. We have a couple of conversions, where we're in kind of those known-passing downs. He's getting to his second and third progression a couple of times early on in that game, moving the team. They were playing with a level of physicality that we were getting into a groove, trying to get into a groove offensively. Then on both of his interceptions over the last two games have come on basically those earned first downs within a drive, where we have some momentum going and they happen to be on plays where we did move the spot, calling keepers to get him on the perimeter, which is a huge facet of our offense. So, I think for me, and in talking with Jared, it's just a matter of making those good decisions now when we break the contain and we're outside the pocket and understanding that even like he did many times in that game where things may have been taken away in our keeper game, he still pushed both the ball forward, getting three, four or five yards with his legs. Those are all positive plays, when you talk about how we drive the football, how we activate tempo, how we want to do things in our offense. What we can't do is, obviously, we're trying to eliminate any negatives, but those catastrophic ones that end drives and give the opposing offense a chance at either field position against our defense, or just ending our drive, which has been something that when we get those things going, normally, if we can just maintain positive output at the quarterback position, we're going to go down and get some points.”

(On RB Malcolm Brown and if it’s fitting he’s the last man standing for a Week 17 contest)
“‘Malc’ (RB Malcolm Brown) has just been so reliable from a standpoint of leading that group in the meeting room, on the practice field, through their preparation. Those two young guys have done a great job for us this year, in addition to what Malcolm's done for us. He's such a rock when it comes to handling the protections and doing all the different things that we ask the back to do across the whole landscape of our offense. There's no doubt he can handle the workload. There's no doubt that we have a lot of confidence in Malcolm. If he has to carry that load, that's something that we know he's fully prepared to do.”

(On if he feels running the scout team as a quarterback offers a broader view of the league)
“One hundred percent. I think a lot about the similarities for John and myself. When I was in New York for those three years, I think our defense may have been top five in the league all three of those years. You're practicing against guys like (Ccool smiley Darrelle Revis, the (Lcool smiley Bart Scott’s, (Lcool smiley David Harris and these players that played at such a high level. I think about John on a daily basis playing and trying to give (Ccool smiley Jalen Ramsey a great look with (DL) Aaron Donald, (DL) Michael Brockers pushing the pocket. (S) John Johnson (III) reading his eyes on the backend. I always looked at it as that's where my greatest development happened. Especially, because of what I love about (Defensive Coordinator) Brandon (Staley) and his defensive staff, they want John to play the play. They don't try to determine where the ball is supposed to go. They don't try to force positive looks. They really try to stress their guys and what that allows John to do is yes, they're working off of a card, our receivers are running scripted routes and things like that. But once that play takes place, whether John's been simulating (Seahawks Qcool smiley Russell Wilson, (Cardinals Qcool smiley Kyler Murray, (Buccaneers Qcool smiley Tom Brady, we've played a lot of really good quarterbacks this year. He gets to kind of provide his own stamp and that's where I think that what Brandon's talking about, of giving a great look. But also, his own personal development within running some plays that maybe we do not have in our offense, or maybe they're slightly different. It's a great question. I think it's a huge part of why those guys on that side of the ball are so confident in John to go out and play well this Sunday, because they've seen him for 15-straight weeks now in preparation.”

(On if he could explain how the scout team portion of practice is structured)
“It's hard. It's hard to say just based upon the game week, short week, long week, how the practice schedule for that day has been altered to fit where our team is at. It's a tough thing to say, but it's definitely the one thing I can tell you is it's a (inaudible) feel. Especially, the way our defense practices it's enough for him to feel the speed of the game at which there are front plays with, the backend plays with. I never miss a rep to try to watch what's going on over there. Even if I'm preparing Jared for the next period, I always want to be watching so that we can use that as coachable reps for John moving forward. It's been a really positive process. I do know he's taken every single one of them that have been available all season long.”

DL Aaron Donald

(On DL Michael Brockers being placed on Reserve/COVID and the potential impact of that on Sunday’s game)
“He's a playmaker, he's a leader. You definitely want him out there, but we just got to hold it down while he's gone. We know that (DL Morgan) Fox is going to step up and continue to play at a high level, like you've been doing all year. As far as what we expect is still high expectations from Fox and we know he's going to fill the shoes and do what he got to do as far as being productive and helping us win this game. But we just have to hold it down for (DL Michael Brockers) ‘Brock’ if he doesn't play this week and get him rested up so we can try and make this playoff run.”

(On what this week has been like with injuries and players being placed on Reserve/COVID)
“It's a part of football, it happens. You got to move with it and understand that it's like next man up. If one guy goes down, if it's from injuries or from COVID, you know guys are prepared and ready to step up and make some plays.”

(On why he feels the team has been so fortunate with very few Reserve/COVID moves)
“I don't know, I'm just like you. We waited the last game of the season, we’re trying to make this playoff run and this happens. I don’t know, it just happened how it happened, I guess”

(On how he has approached COVID and physical distancing away from the facility and if he has felt safe)
“Yeah, because all I do is work and I'm at the house anyway. I don't really do too much, do too much movement. Once I leave here, I'm at the house and in the house all day.”

(On if the Cardinals look any different this game, specifically Cardinals QB Kyler Murray)
“Same team, same players, but obviously we know as far as what they’re going to come at us with is going to be different, so we were expecting that. Same mindset, we just got to go out there and do our job, try to dominate, try to make plays, trying to bottle (Cardinals QB Kyler Murray) up. He's a good quarterback that can make some good throws. A mobile quarterback that can hurt you with his feet. We got to rush a little bit more controlled, as far as not getting too high and getting him seams to step up and make things happen. We know what we got to do as far as that. We just got to try to put pressure on him, make him uncomfortable.”

(On what’s lead to DL Morgan Fox’s jump in production this year)
“He's getting his opportunities. He's going out there and playing at a high level. It started with this offseason, I know he worked his butt off, a lot of training, a lot of working on his technique and it's showing. For him to put the body of work, he had opportunity that to step up and play a huge role on this defense, he's doing it. He's playing confident, playing comfortable, playing strong. The sky's the limit, so Fox is going continue to get better, just having a relationship I got with Fox and talking to him, I'm happy for him and I'm happy for the success he’s been having this year, but I know he can do that much more.”

(On how good this defense is)
“I think it’s one of the most consistent defenses I've been a part of. I feel like from a week-to-week standpoint and playing at a high level, this defense has been doing it. Hiccups here and there, but overall, I've been happy with the performance as a whole. We got to continue to build off that, continue to keep playing, but this is definitely a special group.”

(On what he’s seen from QB John Wolford at practice)
“I've been a fan of his, honestly. Just his preparation, just watching him work, the routines he goes through every single day, you would think he was the starting quarterback already, honestly. He’s got his routines to do every day before the game, warming up during practice. Again, I believe in hard work pays off. I saw him work, you know, I seen during the bye week, when I was walking to my car about to leave, he was walking out with a helmet and shoulder pads, holding football spinning on his hand saying, ‘All right, AD, see you later.’ He’s getting his opportunity to step up and play a huge role to help us win his game. I'm confident. Like I said, the abilities he had that I’ve seen through camp through practice. The way he prepares, the way he gets himself ready. There's no doubt in my mind that this guy is going to go out there and play at a high level and do what he needs to do to help this team win.”

(On how contract tracing works and the steps taken once a guy is placed on Reserve/COVID)
“You’re just hoping that it isn’t going to get to the point where you got to miss days and things like that. They got to do what they need to do, as far as not letting it spread to the point where other guys get it to the point we got to shut down. I think they got things handled the right way. It's definitely frustrating at times, because if somebody gets it and they feel like all they did was at work and back home. Then you got to try to trace your steps back and where you were, who you were around where you think you got it from. It's definitely a headache from that point.”

(On what it’s like having stuff happens out of the team’s control and if that leads to some of the frustration)
“Exactly. That's what it is, because it's like, you want everything to be normal, but it's not. That's the reality of it. That's just how 2020 has been to us. You just got to try to adapt to the changes and hopefully in the near future, this thing is going to be over with, to the point where everything will be back normal and we don’t have to worry about wearing masks and things like that. It’s just been a tough year for us overall, as far as what this COVID and things like that.”

(On OLB Leonard Floyd and if he feels people are sleeping on Floyd)
“I wouldn't say sleeping on him. You can say he's not talked about like the other pass rushers he should be just because the productions he’s having this year. But he’s got to continue to do it, he's having a great year, he’s got to finish this year strong and come back even better next year. You have to continue to build off the success you have and continue to have more and more years like that. Team’s know when they watch film who he is. But to get that household name, you got to do it consistent year-in and year-out. I think he’s got the ability to do that. Right now, probably if you ask somebody who ‘Flo’ (OLB Leonard Floyd) is, they might not know. I’m pretty sure that guys watching film on him and studying and getting ready to play against him know exactly who he is and that’s all that matters.”

(On what it’s like to play with Floyd)
“It’s been been good. Like I said, he’s been productive. I think we play good. Learning how to play off each other. If I get high, you understand the rapping and sometimes you come in free with a good set or him just working his technique, beating his guy around the edge to get the sack. Having the ability to do that and work with a guy that understands football and knows how to play off guys, it’s been huge for us, man. We got to take that (inaudible) going into this to this week. We need another big game from him.”

(On losing two captains to the Reserve/COVID list and the loss of production and leadership)
“They’re leaders, they’re playmakers. But at the same time, we got to hold it down for them guys. I trust the guy that are stepping up behind them that have been playing all year, being productive here as well. We know where you're going as far as no big drop-off as far as production, as far as the guy that are going to step in. I'm confident that these guys going play at a high level and do what they need to do know to help them help us win this game.”

(On where he’s at as far as accomplishing his personal goals this season in terms of sacks and whatnot)
“Honestly, I've never set myself goals like that. I was blessed and have accomplished a lot in a short amount of time of playing in the NFL. A thing that I didn't accomplish is winning the Super Bowl. My main focus is honestly winning. This week is going out there, playing at a high level, trying to fly around and make as many plays I can to help this team to win this week, so we have the opportunity to continue the season. All we need is our foot in the door, once we're there, that's the on us to get to where we're trying to get to. It starts with this week, we got to finish this week off strong. If we win this game, sky's the limit. That's my focus. We get to the playoffs, you ask me that again, then I'll give you an answer. But right now, I'm not satisfied yet.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts December 31, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell and DL Aaron Donald Head Coach Sean McVay

Shaky359December 31, 2020 05:26PM

Crazy: 4 Team Captains are OUT!

stlramz226December 31, 2020 09:02PM

I'm not making light of the situation, but.....

roman18226January 01, 2021 04:55AM

the virus crap finally caught up with them

21Dog158January 01, 2021 05:47AM

With the third youngest team in the NFL (nm)

Ramsfsninmd203January 01, 2021 07:06AM