Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Staley humbled by HC talk but focused on Rams winning...

December 17, 2020 07:00AM
Brandon Staley humbled by head coaching talk but focused on helping Rams win

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Brandon Staley was a relative unknown to most NFL fans when the Los Angeles Rams announced they had hired him as their new defensive coordinator to replace the legendary Wade Phillips. It was surprising to see Sean McVay go from one of the most well-known defensive coordinators in NFL history to a 37-year-old who had never held that position in the NFL.

But after 13 games, it’s clear McVay made the right call. Staley has helped turn the Rams defense into one of the best units in the league, with L.A. ranking third in points allowed, first in yards, first in passing yards and second in third-down defense.

There is a downside to all his immediate success, however – at least for the Rams. Interest in Staley as a head coaching candidate is growing to the point where it’s possible he could be hired away from the Rams as early as this coming offseason.

He’s aware of the interest and whispers mentioning him as a candidate, but Staley remains focused on helping the Rams win.

“It’s humbling any time you’re considered in those conversations. I think that’s what you’re after as a competitor is just to be recognized among your peers – the coaches and the players as someone that’s doing a good job,” Staley told reporters Wednesday. “In that same breath, it’s just such an example of our entire team, specifically start with our players on defense, the way this group has come together and accepted me, accepted us in so many ways. Our coaching staff on defense, our coaching staff in all three phases, playing as a team. I think that’s why we’re having the season we’re having as a team is because when we take the field, we truly play for the Rams. I think that that’s really, really special. I know that I’m humbled to be a part of it. I know each and every day I feel a deep responsibility to be as good as I can be for our team and our organization. I’m just excited to see where we can take it these last three games of the season. There’s so much work to do and that’s where our focus is.”

(AP Photo/Greg Beacham)
The future is hard to ignore for Staley, having so much success in his first season as a coordinator. But as exciting as his head coaching prospects are, he’s not even looking beyond this week against the winless Jets.

He doesn’t want to get complacent against a lesser opponent, saying definitively that the Rams will prepare for the Jets as they have every other team this season.

“Our focus really is on becoming as good as we can be as a team,” Staley said. “I don’t want to sound unoriginal, but that’s just the way it is around here. We’re just focused on how can we improve from last Thursday night. Where can we take this thing this season. Then our full focus is on the New York Jets, because the truth is in this league is that anything can happen any Sunday. We have full respect for their players and their coaches.”

If Staley does leave the Rams this offseason, it won’t be the first time McVay has seen a promising young coach depart Los Angeles. Matt LaFleur did it and has had remarkable success with the Packers. Zac Taylor’s time with the Rams was brief and he’s now the head coach of the Bengals. Greg Olson left after one season to join Jon Gruden’s staff in Oakland, and just this month, assistant quarterbacks coach Liam Coen was hired by the University of Kentucky as their new offensive coordinator.

Losing Staley would hurt the Rams in a big way, but McVay would be thrilled to see the young coordinator advance his career in a new role – even if it’s not with L.A.

“I think one of the best things about when we’ve been able to have successes is you see other guys get opportunities like I was so fortunate to get a few years ago. So even though the Rams would get worse, I mean, that’s what it’s about. If that’s something that he wants to do and he gets an opportunity to compete for the job, there’s no doubt in my mind he’ll do a great job,” McVay said Wednesday. “He’s a phenomenal coach. He’s a great person and when you look at all the traits and characteristics that at least I would value in a head coach, I think he checks all the boxes. I hope to at least have more than a year with him, but if not, I’d be ecstatic for him and his family, his wife Amy and his three boys. So, he’s done such a great job. I couldn’t be more grateful to work with Brandon and if that’s what happens for him, that’s great for him.”

McVay said he talks to Staley about the possibility of becoming a head coach. “You certainly acknowledge it,” McVay said, adding that he’ll do “nothing but try to help.”

But until that time comes, he and Staley are focused on the Jets and the Rams’ current goals in 2020.

“I don’t have any doubt that his concentration is solely on continuing to do a great job leading our defense and putting together a great plan with our coaching staff throughout the course of the week to try to go attack our 10th win,” McVay said.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Staley humbled by HC talk but focused on Rams winning...

Rams43440December 17, 2020 07:00AM

Re: Staley humbled by HC talk but focused on Rams winning...

BerendsenRam84December 18, 2020 12:05AM