Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few general comments after the Bengals game...

October 28, 2019 12:53PM
This is not intended as a game review, but rather some comments about generalities from a 30,000 foot perspective.

Goff and Kupp were shredding the Bengals pass D early. I suspect that McVay kinda called off the dogs out of a desire not to embarrass Taylor unnecessarily.

Our OL pass pro is improving incrementally, but our run game is still woeful. Don’t know if Kromer is trying to convert from zone to gap blocking and I don’t really care. What I do care about is finding an effective run blocking OL and finding it PDQ, because our playoff future literally hinges upon it. We live or die against strong teams based upon our ability to run the ball.

I think that McVay missed an opportunity to develop some OL run blocking continuity and confidence against the hapless Bengals. But he strangely didn’t seem to want to take full advantage of the opportunity. Big mistake, IMO. One that he might regret later.

Gurley is not the same as he used to be. Why deny the obvious? Can still be a good to very good RB, of course.

Henderson has earned more snaps. I mean, Ray Charles could see that. So, give him more snaps, Sean. You can thank me later. Lol.

I believe that Goff will return to his former elite level of play if and when the OL starts run blocking well such that our trio of RB’s once again pose a threat that must be honored by opposing D’s. We just don’t have that now and it’s critical to McVay’s O concepts. Don’t know if Kromer can make that happen in time to save this season from a playoff pov.

Rams have had more than their fair share of injuries to key players, but they can survive them so far. Unless very many more come our way. Clay should be back for the Steelers. Talib’s loss might not be as serious as I had previously thought. Meaning that his skills have apparently slipped to the point that Hill, Williams, or Long might not be that big of a falloff (heck, the Rams are reportedly trying to trade Talib). JJ is a biggie, though, but Christian has not exactly embarrassed himself, has he?

We may be stronger and deeper at edge than I had previously thought. Obo, Patrick, and Ebu might be able to fill in for Fowler next year if he’s not extended. Guess I’m saying that I’m more cautiously optimistic about edge than I was a month ago.

Where was that press man coverage vs the Bengals? Another thing that it would have been nice to polish before we face tougher teams.

And where was the Ram run D against the ‘vaunted’ Bengals running attack? WTF was THAT that we saw?

I’ll repeat what I’ve said before. We are a RG and maybe a C away from being a playoff team, probably as a wildcard thanks to the Bucs and Seahawk fubars. Whether Kromer can ‘fix’ those 2 things or not is the $64 question.

But, IF our OL can be fixed this year, Kromer is the guy that can do it. And IF he does then I see a wildcard playoff game in our future. And if we are in the playoffs we will be a team that NOBODY wants to play.

Here’s to a “fixed” OL. Y’all...
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A few general comments after the Bengals game...

Rams43516October 28, 2019 12:53PM

Re: Good Summary 43

RamsFanSinceLA192October 29, 2019 09:45AM

Secondary Coverage and Run Game

Hazlet Hacksaw149October 29, 2019 10:30AM