Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sean McVay is both blessed and somewhat cursed regarding his asst coaches...

February 23, 2019 06:53AM
The blessing is that right now McVay will enjoy the inside track when pursuing outside asst coaches. It’s almost not fair. And these “best and brightest” will come in and thrive in this environment and with this talented roster, all of which helps the Rams in a constant benevolent cycle.

The curse is that other teams will be watching and will be constantly hiring away these great asst coaches, creating a never ending need for McVay to stay on top of the newest crop of up and comer coaches to replenish the ranks. More I think about it, that’s not much of a curse, is it? Other than the constant hiring and training? Constant inflow of bright minds and youthful energy?

As an aside, this Eric Henderson hiring bodes well on several fronts and in no particular order:

Johnson had to go. And, even though a longtime friend of Wade, he was replaced with a sought after bright young coach. Tells me that winning comes first with McVay and he demands results from his coaches. Can’t overstate the importance of that concept. Love it.

Also makes a statement that the DL will be expected to be a big part of our ‘19 D. Now AD will be getting a lot more help this year. I look for incoming players from both FA and the draft for our DL. Welcome news, indeed.

This decision possibly came from McVay (and Wade’s) self scouting after their season review post SB loss. Not sure, but there may be another shoe yet to fall. Stay tuned.

Lastly, other coaches and all players will notice that Johnson was replaced. Sends a powerful message to one and all that results matter. Be the best you can be or another may take your place next year. Long gone are the days of tolerating less than one’s very best. Being a “good ole boy” doesn’t offer much job protection under McVay. My respect for McVay keeps growing and growing.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sean McVay is both blessed and somewhat cursed regarding his asst coaches...

Rams43229February 23, 2019 06:53AM