Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My final thoughts about the Championship game (No PI discussion)

January 25, 2019 12:53PM
Still having a lot of thoughts about the game itself, and the Rams play in particular. Wanted to get this out of my system so I could start figuring out how to bear NE.

Zeurlein MVP+ - I haven't heard anyone mention, Greg the Leg scored more points (14) than the rest of the team combined. Not sure any of us has really given him enough credit for his contribution.

Hekker pretty awesome as well - Not sure his punts are as dominating as in the past, but his job as a holder and especially as a passer are spectacular. Throw on the fake punt was a bit short and pulled Shield back behind the sticks, but Shields made the move he needed to to get the first.

John Fassell - Given the above, give Fassell a hell of a lot of credit. Given how well he knows Sean McVay, I am a little surprised he is not getting more play for a promotion at another team. But selfishly, I am glad he is not.

Wade Phillips - add me to the list of people doubting Wade's D through the season, but the adjustments he made Sunday, to slow down the Saints O, limit Thomas, limit the run and then, after Kamara out of the backfield became their go to weapon, shut that down as well, can't be overstated. More than anything, I believe that Wade and his D are going to be the main factor deciding whether we get a Lombardi or not. Hope he is cooking up a plan right now.

Aaron Donald - Several times during the year, AD has kind of disappeared for a couple of games in a row, getting some pressure but not really getting home or making many splash plays. Then he explodes for a couple of games, resulting in 20 sacks. He was quiet at NO, would love for him to have a great game against NE. Maybe he needs a pitch count in the first half, as it often seems he comes out strongest in the second half.

Goff - Not huge numbers but made some big-time throws down the stretch when needed most. Stays calm when behind, and just works to get one score at a time. And the kid is only 24! Love the possibility of him working with McVay for 15+ years.

Robey-Coleman - Got away with a lot versus NO, makes you think that he might be a marked man by the officials at the SB. Probably needs to mind his manners next week. Still, NRC and the Rams took advantage of the officials decision to "Let them play," something the NE has done better in the playoffs than anyone else. BTW, if you have not read this Washington Post article about the controversial play, you don't understand what happened in that controversial play. [www.washingtonpost.com]

Essentially, NO snuck a WR into the backfield on the play. Littleton apparently didn't see it to call the adjustment, and according to the Post article (the only one to mention this) NRC spotted it at the last minute, realized the player would be wide open in the coverage the Rams were in, and decided on his own to get over there and try to prevent a TD. Which he did. This article brought up a lot of questions to me, like "how often does one D player make a call like that, abandon his post and try to make a play, and is this a good thing?" Anyway, it is interesting, and makes you look at that play in a new light.

Suh - Glad he is finally starting to dominate, still not sure I want him back for another 14 million. If he could do this all along and just wasn't motivated until the playoffs, what does that say about him? If he couldn't, what does that say about him?

Receivers - Rams have 5 receivers that are competent to great. Lot for another team to cover. 6 if you count Gurley, and normally I do.

OL - Another ho hum solid game by the guys up front. Need just one more great game by these guys this season, then they can rest for a few months.

Final, final thought - The Saints were/are a great team that played well in all facets of the game this year.They are led by a no question HOF QB, have a great two-headed running game and one of the top 5 receivers in the game. And the Superdome this week was a hellish environment for a visiting team. Given all that, our boys came out, took their best punch, stayed on their feet and pulled out the win, going 15-3 for the season so far with losses only to 3 playoff teams. This Rams team doesn't have to defend themselves to anyone. They deserve to be in the Super Bowl, and I believe that they are plenty good enough to win it.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My final thoughts about the Championship game (No PI discussion)

PeoriaRa489January 25, 2019 12:53PM

Re: My final thoughts about the Championship game (No PI discussion)

Steve185January 25, 2019 10:05PM

Donald in the last two games

21Dog197January 26, 2019 06:46AM

Re: Donald in the last two games

bigjimram21237January 26, 2019 06:53AM

obviously not just the last two games

21Dog198January 26, 2019 06:56AM

Re: Donald in the last two games

Killrazor175January 27, 2019 12:28AM

Goff threw for 297 yards

CeeZar221January 26, 2019 07:02AM

is it Wade or that.......

21Dog210January 26, 2019 07:09AM

what did happen to Hekker's punts???

Rampage2K-178January 26, 2019 11:35AM

Re: what did happen to Hekker's punts???

Shaky309January 26, 2019 01:13PM