Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

reminds me of 1969

December 17, 2018 04:49AM
The 2018 Rams remind me in some ways of the 1969 Rams. That team started 11-0 but started to sputter before the winning streak ended, and then came a total collapse to finish the regular season at 11-3. They fell behind 10-0 at the half to a terrible Eagles team that finished 4-9-1. They pulled that game out to go 9-0, but they later got destroyed 28-0 by the Lions. That team made some adjustments going into the playoffs, but it wasn't enough -- they had been exposed as something less than their 11-0 start suggested. In the playoffs, they got ahead of the Vikings 17-7 at the half before becoming a one and done team, which is what they appear to be in 2018.

Last year, I made the observation on this board that the Rams seemed to have a certain cluelessness. It didn't go over well, but I call them as I see them. Something that concerned me last year was that the Rams cluelessly allowed time to bleed off the clock when behind. They didn't seem to have the capability or awareness to make adjustments in that situation, which calls for preserving time when you have the ball and trying to mount scoring drives as quickly as possible. They did the same thing last night after falling behind 30-13. If they had paid more attention to the clock, they might have had enough time to complete the final drive and tie the score.

McVay is in many ways a brilliant coach and leader, but his team has shown various signs of cluelessness. Both return teams have repeatedly made costly errors. Against the Bears, a holding call on the second half kickoff caused the Rams to be pinned near their goal line, which led to a safety and the Bears scoring a TD on the ensuing drive after the free kick. That one mistake proved to be very costly, and it could be argued that it was the turning point in that game. Mistakes in the return game also cost the Rams against the Eagles. They ended up pinned near or inside the ten yard line of punt and kickoff returns.

With the new rule changes, it is insane to run any kickoff out of the end zone. Better to take the ball at the 25 yard line than to risk all of the bad things that can happen on a return (getting pinned near the goal line due to a bad return or penalty, fumbling the ball, or an injury). I would put two men back near the goal line on kickoff returns. If the ball goes into the end zone, down it. If it's going to land near the end zone, let it hit the ground and hopefully go into the end zone. If it doesn't go into the end zone, you have two men back to recover it and do the best they can. I think this approach would do better on average than what the Rams have been doing.

Pharoh Cooper is awful. He needs to be let go. He certainly needs to be relieved of return duties. Natson looked promising earlier in the season, but his confidence may be shot after last night. You probably have to sit him after that fiasco. The Rams have made some great fake punts and field goals over the years, but the element of surprise is long gone. They need to get the other elements of their game in order so that they won't need to resort to desperation moves with the special teams.

McVay has failed to make adjustments with the offense, which has looked terrible in recent games. Could it be that the fresh ideas that he brought to the Rams have run their course? You have to make adjustments in the NFL if you want to be successful in the long run. The Rams defense has also failed to make adjustments. Is the personnel on that unit really that bad? The McVay era in some ways reminds me of the George Allen era, which began with great promise, had some memorable moments, included that 1969 season, but ended with a crash and burn of an approach that proved to be smoke and mirrors. In Allen's case, it was trading draft picks for aging vets who still had something left in their tanks. That approach worked for a while, but it caught up with the Rams. It's a different situation with McVay, but he needs to make some adjustments right away or his Rams team will fade away like Allen's did.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

reminds me of 1969

L.A.Rams486December 17, 2018 04:49AM

Agree with all of that.

Deadhead Ram229December 17, 2018 04:57AM

Re: Agree with all of that.

moklerman162December 18, 2018 11:42PM

Re: reminds me of 1969 (P Cooper)

Steve247December 17, 2018 05:53AM

L.A.Rams216December 17, 2018 06:41AM