Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A “real fine” offseason outlook post by Dick84...

October 07, 2018 07:15AM
Here’s Dick84...

RAMS OFFSEASON OUTLOOK AT QUARTER POLE

Just some thoughts on what the Rams offseason could look like based on developments in the first quarter of the year.

Andrew Whitworth's performance has been stellar. He's slipped a little from a few years ago.. but is still spectacular. The one speed rush sack is a good example of the only way to beat him. You have to beat him with pure speed from go... if he gets his hands on you, it's over. I see no reason to think he doesn't have one more season at a very high level left in him.
Roger Saffold's been a beast.
Sullivan's solid.
Blythe has performed way above expectations.
Havenstein has been very, very good.

The oline was one of the big 19 offseason concerns before 18 started. Before the season started we thought the Rams had three starters heading into Free Agency at the end of the year. Blythe, Whitworth, Sullivan and Havenstein are all locked up for another season. The Rams have some really good options. They can try to keep Brown at a low rate and try to re-sign Saffold and be completely set for another year. If they can't afford Saffold or don't want to give him as many years as he'd like... you may have Noteboom starting there for a year before moving to LT. You'd also draft an Olineman or two. Either way... I think this group is in great, great shape at the moment.

WRs are spectacular and locked up.... at least the starters. I'm a little concerned about depth with Reynolds preseason showing and Cooper's injury. Maybe worth investing a mid-round pick in.

TEs. Nothing to speak of but doesn't seem a need.

QB... are you kidding me???? Goff is incredible. Well... I guess they could look for another backup... or we could have faith that Mannion would be adequate.

RB... Gurley!!! Hasn't lost anything. Brown has shown how unimportant preseason is. He's been rock solid running and in pass pro. I think Davis and Kelly are great depth

DL.. This is where it starts getting interesting. They've been fantastic. I'd like to see more sacks and expect to.. especially with Suh wide. I'm for re-signing Suh, but we'll see how possible that is. If they can't, I'd absolutely use one of the 3rd rounders to try and bring in some talent. JFM's potential makes me feel okay about losing Suh.. and I have faith in their ability to draft someone. Sebastian Joseph may have some potential as well.

LBs... I'm very happy with Littleton and Wilson is JAG.. but not a disaster. I'd say it's time to cut Barron and take the hit this offseason... I think it's 3 million dollars. Either re-sign Ramik Wilson cheap.. but I'm hoping Kiser develops enough to take that spot. You may have to draft someone again.

OLB... Ebukam has been decent... Longacre has been a disappointment as he gets healthy. A disappointing spot. We'll see if Obo can offer a spark. I still think they could make a trade. This is one of the most likely spots to spend a first rounder... at least another third. Wild card would be signing Shane Ray at a reasonable rate.

CBs... Peters is good and so was Talib. Let's see if he makes it back. NRC is a great nickel... Shields has been hot and cold and I don't know what Hill is. Playing Peters hurt says a lot about Hill, imo. This will be very interesting.. they can cut Talib for no cap hit. I could see a scenario where they do that and put a first or third round rookie out there or have them compete with Shields and Hill for the opposite of Peters. I think they need to draft 2 corners, to be honest.

Safeties. JJ has had some moments.. Christian has played a lot more than many expected and is decent, imo and Joyner is not producing much for his paycheck. Joyner won't be back, imo. I think they'll sign a cheap late-career vet and draft another safety.

If the Rams dropped Talib and Barron.. they'd have 50 million in cap space. That'd probably allow them to re-sign Suh and Saffold and.. maybe Ray.

With Noteboom and Kelly... I think they're in a good space with depth on the oline and they can probably keep Brown for cheap. The oline depth was probably my biggest future concern.. and this year's draft and Whitworth's continued excellence make me feel they won't have to spend much in the draft this offseason.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A “real fine” offseason outlook post by Dick84...

Rams43225October 07, 2018 07:15AM

Re: A “real fine” offseason outlook post by Dick84...

Rams4385October 07, 2018 07:31AM

they don't necessarily NEED any cap relief in 2019.

zn90October 07, 2018 08:01AM

Re: they don't necessarily NEED any cap relief in 2019.

Rams4378October 07, 2018 09:01AM

Re: A “real fine” offseason outlook post by Dick84...

LMU9370October 07, 2018 09:30AM

Re: A “real fine” offseason --back up QB is a real need

Steve57October 07, 2018 09:56AM