Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Outstanding jobs Won/Lost post by Merlin...

August 25, 2018 10:52PM
Here’s Merlin...

So as always we all see it differently, but here's my take fwiw...

QB: Mannion LOST the QB job tonight. His knowledge of the offense doesn't really matter when he can't place the ball, let alone hit the receiver. Even the TD to Pharoh was poorly placed. Also, a backup's job is to go in there and execute the offense without major mistakes. Dude has not progressed, which is the final key in this equation. Allen IMO will be our backup QB as of next week, although he may be required to start game 4 and hold onto the job so there may be a third act in this terrible battle.

RB: Kelly WON a roster spot and maybe the backup job. He didn't draw the top matchups of the game, but his one-cut-and-go decisiveness and explosiveness not to mention power means he's in. Certainly he is 3 on the depth chart at the lowest. IMO Davis will be stashed. RB room looks great.

TE: Hemingway LOST his job tonight. He sucked in just about every way a TE can suck. Honestly what disgusts me here is the playing time he has gotten, the dude does not belong on that field. Missed blocks with halfass effort, dropped passes, penalty in key situation, Jesus man. IMO the Rams will cut him this week. How bout that? Mundt looks like the defacto three and at this point I doubt the position wins a four in competition with others. Would like to see more of McElroy.

OL: This group overall continues to play well. Really the question here in my mind is how long the rooks will take to sieze primary backup jobs. Another strong game by Noteboom, who outside of a couple rushes was his usual consistent and earnest self. Same with Allen, who consistently pushes to move to the next level. Lucas looked pretty good at RG btw, on the 15 yard TD run where his seal and Allen's blockdown opened up the initial gap. I think the slotting for this group is mostly unchanged from last week, where IMO some things got settled.

WR: Hodge WON a roster spot tonight. They will find a way to keep him. He has actual hands, which are lacking in so many of the opposing roster decisions, but also brings size, strength to break tackles, etc. He is going to be a really nice bottom of the roster dev option for this staff. Natson once again looked good, and I'm not going to commit but as I alluded to before he and Pharoh are in a bit of a battle. Pharoh just doesn't look like the same guy. Does a Pro Bowl nod exempt him from needing to look good in preseason? I don't know just yet and maybe the fourth game will decide. Or maybe I'm nuts, as I'm sure some of you are thinking.

DL/OLB: Lawler and Price both WON roster spots tonight. Lawler sets the edge with toughness and much like Longacre has a non-stop motor that will work in multiple spots as needed, but mostly looks like a strongside OLB. Price played his @$$ off and also can flip sides as depth and brings more athleticism. DL looks pretty set to me, no real changes that I feel were made off this game so lumping them together.

ILB: Kiser WON a roster spot tonight. It could be fairly argued that already happened, but his drops in coverage showed excellent progress and he still brings a nice burst on the inside rush. Hager is still ahead of him, and rightly so since he undoubtedly knows the defense better and is in his own right greatly improved under this staff. On the weak side no change, as Ramik Wilson looked outstanding and will provide top-notch backup quality behind Barron.

CB: Hill LOST his job tonight. He won't make the cut IMO. Dude has been inconsistent as F all preseason and doesn't deserve a roster spot in this secondary. This is his second year in this defense after playing well for us down the stretch, he needs to be better than a guy who goes out there and sucks it up vs depth options. That TD he gave up tonight he looked back at the ball in textbook fashion but the guy just doesn't have it. Not sure why, but don't really care why.

S: No real change here as the last guy to win a job to my eye among this group, Christian, continues to look the part in his run support hybrid type role they want to use him in. He's gonna play a lot this year I think, for a depth guy.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Outstanding jobs Won/Lost post by Merlin...

Rams43968August 25, 2018 10:52PM

What thrills me the most is hearing of good O line play.

Ramgator278August 26, 2018 12:34AM

Don't feel good about Cooper

David Deacon338August 26, 2018 01:44AM

Re: Cooper---hoping we would trade him for a #3

Steve329August 26, 2018 02:59AM

AlbaNY_Ram280August 26, 2018 03:32AM

Steve259August 26, 2018 03:36AM

Re: Would you change your opinion if...

dzrams193August 26, 2018 09:09AM

Re: Would you change your opinion if...yes on 4th, not 5th-6th

Steve162August 26, 2018 09:11AM

Re: Don't feel good about Cooper

Los Angeles Lenny191August 26, 2018 10:49AM

Re: Outstanding jobs on DL/OLB

Steve280August 26, 2018 03:01AM

Re: Outstanding jobs Won/Lost post by Merlin...

napoli185August 26, 2018 07:14AM

After a good night’s sleep post Texans game...

Rams43280August 26, 2018 08:56AM

Re: After a good night’s sleep post Texans game...

Steve233August 26, 2018 09:12AM

Re: After a good night’s sleep post Texans game...

Rams43231August 26, 2018 09:18AM

Re: After a good long thought---Rams could win with SM

Steve376August 26, 2018 10:54AM

Re: After a good long thought---Rams could win with SM

3030194August 26, 2018 02:20PM

Re: Well I'm convinced...

dzrams231August 26, 2018 06:53PM

The greed of owners...

jemach187August 26, 2018 02:34PM

Re: The greed of owners...

waterfield134August 27, 2018 06:16AM

P. Cooper is a lock