Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jeff Fisher turned down TV job, still wants to be an NFL Head Coach...

May 30, 2018 08:18AM
Jeff Fisher turned down TV job, still wants to be NFL head coach
Cameron DaSilva

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Despite being two years removed from his last head coaching gig, Jeff Fisher has remained in the eye of the public thanks to his radio appearances. He’s gone on several shows recently to discuss his interest in coaching, saying he won’t get back into it as a coordinator or assistant.

Fisher went on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday to discuss that same topic, saying he remains interested in returning to the league as a head coach.

“I’ve had opportunities to stay in it, but I don’t see myself coming back and coordinating,” Fisher said. “As you well know, success in the National Football League is built on a number of different things. You know, it starts with the quarterback, you gotta stay healthy and you know, you gotta hit things running and you gotta have a good staff. All those things.”

Fisher said he doesn’t think being out of the NFL for two years should “eliminate somebody” from being a head coaching candidate. There have reportedly been teams interested in bringing Fisher in – though it’s unclear how serious that interest was – so it’s possible the former Rams coach does make his way back into the NFL.

If all else fails, Fisher admits he could get in the booth as a television analyst. He’s had opportunities in that space, as well, though he didn’t feel comfortable taking them so soon after leaving the NFL.

“Yes, I have [thought about commentating]. Let me give you an example. My first year off last year, could you imagine me sitting down in the production meetings on Friday in Seattle with Pete Carroll and then on Saturday with Bruce Arians,” Fisher said. “Probably not going to get a lot of information out of them. So I just wasn’t comfortable with that. And you know, if the lord has that opportunity ahead of me, I’ll do that when I’ve eliminated all possibilities to get back on the sideline.”

Fisher didn’t have much success in his last run as a head coach, failing to lead the Rams to a winning record in five years. It doesn’t help that Sean McVay came in and did so in his first season at the helm, doing so with a roster that Fisher claims he built.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jeff Fisher turned down TV job, still wants to be an NFL Head Coach...

Rams43539May 30, 2018 08:18AM

Oh Jeffy...

jemach312May 30, 2018 05:50PM

Re: Oh Jeffy...

droopy278May 30, 2018 06:53PM

With Jeff Fisher as coach.......

NewMexicoRam273May 31, 2018 02:35AM

Re: Jeff Fisher turned down TV job, still wants to be an NFL Head Coach...

RFIP344May 30, 2018 11:59PM

MamaRAMa348May 31, 2018 03:18AM

oldschoolramfan262May 31, 2018 05:14AM

Headslap75334May 31, 2018 03:49PM

The key for Fisher is saying he will stay away from offense

Rams_81160June 02, 2018 06:24AM