Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FRR: Cowboys expect a big increase in production from Tavon Austin

May 11, 2018 02:14AM
24 touches a game???He might not last half the season lol. Isn't he a FA after this season too? Good luck Cowboys.

Cowboys expect a big increase in production from Tavon Austin

Link

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 11, 2018, 5:58 AM EDT

The Cowboys have indicated that they expect to use newly arrived runner/receiver/returner Tavon Austin as the web back in their offense, and have compared the role he can play to the role running back Lance Dunbar previously filled. But just how much can the Cowboys realistically expect to get out of Austin, after his time with the Rams fell short of expectations?

According to Cowboys Executive VP Stephen Jones, the Cowboys will get a lot: Jones said Austin will get 12 to 24 touches a game on offense.

“I think we can get him the ball — I don’t want to speak for Jason, but I think we can get him the ball a dozen, twenty, two dozen times a game. And then you throw the return game on top of it and I think it’s somebody we can really utilize,” Jones said, via Josh Norris.

A dozen offensive touches a game would be unexpected for Austin, while two dozen a game would be impossible. The most touches Austin ever had in a season in his five years with the Rams was 104, which is an average of 6.5 touches a game.

A dozen touches a game would be 192 in a 16-game season, far more than Austin has ever had in the NFL. Two dozen touches a game would be 384 in a season, which is more than any player other than Le'Veon Bell had in the NFL last season.

Jones is overly optimistic if he expects production like that from Austin. Of course, given that the Rams used the eighth overall pick on Austin in 2013 and then signed him to a four-year, $42 million contract extension in 2016, Austin has some experience with teams being overly optimistic about him.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

FRR: Cowboys expect a big increase in production from Tavon Austin

Ramsdude561May 11, 2018 02:14AM

Re: FRR: Cowboys expect a big increase in production from Tavon Austin

Rams43260May 11, 2018 05:19AM

AlbaNY_Ram376May 11, 2018 05:35AM

Ramsdude278May 11, 2018 05:44AM

Re: We have been waiting for "production" for years....

oldschoolramfan245May 11, 2018 07:00AM

And the turnovers?

BoiseRam230May 11, 2018 09:31AM

Re: And the turnovers?

GlacieRam241May 11, 2018 02:27PM