Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My 2018 NFL Draft QB preference...

March 31, 2018 05:28PM
This is scary, but I'm about to talk about the NFL as a football fan and not a Rams fan...well...a Rams fan who loves talking about all teams, not just the Rams. I wish we have more talk about league situations...but...I understand why people are stoked about the Rams...heck...I am.

That said...for those who like to talk football and the draft as a whole...

As far as I'm concerned, the #1 thing a QB has to show coming out of college is accuracy. If he can't be around 65%, barring some really, really good reason, I would hesitate to pick such a player. Other things you like to see...Has he won big games? Is he "respectfully" mobile?

One thing for certain...all the QBs in this draft have issues...warts...and big ones!

Unlike many of the experts, my top QB in this draft is not the consensus top QB of this draft. In fact, I could really put two QB's ahead of him.

My number one QB in this draft is Baker Mayfield. I'll get to him...let me discuss the others. I'll also state, I'm not a big college film watcher. But, I've watched highlights, I've listened to "the experts" and read quite a bit about each. So, I'm not trying to be the draft guru...I'm just giving you my thoughts based on how I look at things. So, if you don't like my position on these QBs, fine.

Sam Darnold - everybody's #1 overall! He has the tools. He has the moxy. But the turnovers are striking. The lack of a big win is striking. The fact that he disappeared in some games is striking. I really think he should have stayed in one more year but if you are going to be a top 5 pick, I understand. Like many of these QBs in this draft, he needs to ride the pine for a while. I just don't think he is ready. Plus, let's face it...USC QBs as of late have been...a bit disappointing. But, that's the least of the concerns. 26 TDs and 13 turnovers...that's nothing but...horrendous. He kind of went backwards this year. But, at least he did something for more than 1 year. I don't like drafting guys who had one good/great year in college. I like to see them do it for 2-3 years. That said...Good luck Cleveland. I'm just not feeling this pick.

Josh Allen - he has all the measurables. His problem? His completion percentage is what...56%? So he has the canon arm. I don't care about that. My top requirement is accuracy. He is sorely lacking it. To me, this guy has to ride the pine for a year. He needs technique. Maybe it was the talent around him. Maybe it was the coaching. I don't know what it is. But, he has the "tools" but if you can't throw into tight windows, you are at best a backup in the NFL. So, maybe with proper coaching he has a lot of upside. Man, I hate that comment (Greg Robberson...cough cough)!

Josh Rosen - I've watched him play more than anybody other than Mayfield. And honestly, I don't get it. Arm...is ok. Accuracy...is ok. Leadership...is questionable...at best. Maybe that's rumor. Mobility is limited. Ugh!!! I just never saw anything out of this skinny guy that was impressive. And, I sense a Sam Bradford injury career for him. It just wasn't college. Like Bradford, he has always found injuries to be part of his game. I watched the Texas A&M game. While he received accolades for a comeback, he got so lucky it was like winning the lottery. I remember one TD...the ball goes right through the A&M defenders hand for an easy pick...but it goes through his hands right into the Bruin WR hands. It was a horrible play that had great results. A&M gave that game away. Rosen didn't win it. I would say technique wise he may be the most ready to play sooner rather than later.

Lamar Jackson - What this guy lacks in accuracy, he makes up for being Michael Vick in running and athleticism. He won the Heisman for a reason. He has put together multiple outstanding seasons. My biggest thing about Jackson is that you have to build a team that fits his game. That means the right OC, the right WRs, etc. In today's NFL you have to worry about a guy who uses the run as a weapon. On the right team, there will be three other teams who will have to adapt to a guy like this...like...keeping him in the pocket. To me, the neophyte of a draft evaluator I am, I think he will be an exciting player in the NFL. Does that translate to winning a championship. I dunno. But, watching this guy take off in the open field will be electrifying. Find a home for this guy on the bench for a year. But, give him some plays to run in year one where he can use his run/pass threat as a change up.

Mason Rudolph - I'll say this. He has more practice at throwing downfield than any QB out there. He doesn't have an overwhelming arm for such a big guy but it's good enough. I'm concerned about his mobility...or lack thereof. He has a Case Keenum about him. In other words, he will likely need more than one year to develop and it will probably happen with more than one team.

Now back to my #1 guy. Baker Mayfield.

Mayfield has everything I want in a QB in terms of accuracy (70+%), He has won big games...numerous. And, while not lightning fast, he is deceptively mobile. This guy put the "lead" in leader. He has everything you're looking for in a QB playing in the NFL. So, where does he come up "short"? Ok...haha on the pun. His size is an issue. In fact, I'll say that he would be the consensus #1 QB if he were say, 6'3". But, he's not. However, one Drew Brees isn't either. I don't think it's a stretch to use Brees as a comparison based on Mayfield success in college. If you watched him play, you saw a guy who could make tremendously accurate throws in and out of the pocket. You saw a guy that used his feet when he had to. You saw clutch throws...clutch plays. That Georgia game was awesome! So, he is a bit arrogant. Well, I can live with that. He did some immature things. However, grabbing at your own crotch is not a crime. Planting the Oklahoma flag at mid field in the middle of the "O" for Ohio State, may be over the top, but I can get past it. The bar incident is a concern but still...he's a college kid.

If I'm the Cleveland Browns, if I could trade back and assure myself of this guy, I would do so and pick the QB who I think will be the most successful in the 2018 NFL Draft...Baker Mayfield.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2018 05:32PM by jemach.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My 2018 NFL Draft QB preference...

jemach562March 31, 2018 05:28PM

Re: My 2018 NFL Draft QB preference...

idaram254March 31, 2018 06:20PM

Re: good stuff

leafnose295April 01, 2018 03:06AM

Wow I didn't see that coming

David Deacon206April 01, 2018 04:04AM

Goff

JYB205April 01, 2018 04:21AM

I would both Goff and Wentz at the top...

jemach203April 01, 2018 04:46AM

Re: I would both Goff and Wentz at the top...

JYB235April 01, 2018 05:57AM

You know it's kind of funny...

jemach206April 01, 2018 06:23AM

Re: You know it's kind of funny...

zn284April 01, 2018 08:08AM

jemach173April 01, 2018 09:17AM

zn173April 01, 2018 12:16PM