Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chemistry counts even more when the team culture is right...

February 07, 2018 02:21PM
When we read articles about the amazing turn-around of the 2017 Rams, we often see read that the "culture" of the team has changed. We see words like "accountability", "day-to-day improvement", and "we not me". In order for these catch phrases to mean anything, everyone, or most everyone has to buy in to the concepts and the "culture".
The 2017 Rams seem to have done just that, from the top, down. For me, a team that went 11-5 and was still one of the 2 or 3 youngest teams in the NFL needs to look at small adjustments in the roster, insofar as they can control that. I don't want to see them handicap the team by grossly overpaying to keep players from this previous season. But, I don't think the idea of wholesale changes, unless unavoidable is a good idea.
I'm not so sure that the money isn't better spent keeping guys like Barron, Watkins, TruJo, etc. if that means keeping the right culture. I'm not sure sure that moving Ogletree from MLB to OLB is such a great idea either. He's been the guy making the call since JL was let go. I just keep remembering how I knew the release of London Fletcher, that undersized MLB was going to kill the Rams because of the leadership and culture he brought to the team. I was right... Losing LF set the defense back in an big way.
One can never be sure what moving Ogletree, and taking that leadership role away will mean to the team. Does Barron's ability to cover the TE and blitz so effectively, along with already being "bought in" to the culture mean more to the team's success than him getting washed out by OL in the run game? How much of Watkins' reputation (and actual skill level) lead to teams rolling coverage to him and opening up things for other WRs?
The Rams need to be sure that if they let any of these key guys go, that they are replacing them not only with either equal talent at a lower price, or superior talent, but also that they bring in guys that will not look to change the culture but to blend in with the culture that's already in place.
This is exactly why you do what you have to do to make sure AD and Joyner remain a part of the team for the next 5 or 6 years. They ARE the culture and the examples of the types of players, attitudes and demeanor that the Rams want to build the team upon.
Let's make some small adjustments this year. If they aren't sure about Watkins, tag him for a year and make the decision after he gets a full camp with the team. If we need another vet TE, then get a short term older guy. Let's not add too much salt to the soup.
The team is close. It doesn't appear that 11 wins was a fluke and as they players get a bit older, and more seasoned, one would hope they get better. Keep the chemistry right, with virtually the same team as they have now, and I believe the Rams will be SB contenders for many years with a few minor adjustments each year.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Chemistry counts even more when the team culture is right...

PSJRam380February 07, 2018 02:21PM