Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Evero Beginning Work with Rams Safeties

February 24, 2017 02:44PM

By Myles Simmons

For Ejiro Evero, coaching safeties for the Rams represents a bit of a homecoming. Having grown up in Southern California, he’s glad to be back in the area. But that doesn’t mean he’s sleeping in his childhood bedroom.

“I grew up in SoCal but it was way inland — Rancho Cucamonga ain’t nowhere near the ocean,” Evero said in a recent interview with a laugh.

Still, Evero is glad to be coaching on a staff under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and headed by Sean McVay. Having known McVay for eight years, Evero said he believes in the head coach and feels like he’s got special coaching abilities. That relationship was one factor in Evero coming to Los Angeles, but that didn’t mean McVay would hire Evero on the spot.

“The thing he told me as soon as he got the job was, ‘Hey, look man, you’re my boy, I love you, you’re great. But we’re not doing any favors here. This isn’t a charity. We need to bring the best people in here,’” Evero said. “And I’m like, ‘Hey, that’s exactly what I want. I don’t want any favors. I want to come in there because I can get the job done. And I’m going to be the best guy for the job.’ So that was the starting point.”

And when it comes to Phillips, Evero said he’s looking gleaning some of the defensive coordinator’s considerable knowledge and experience.

“Obviously, his track record is unprecedented,” Evero said. “And the ability to work with him — I can’t wait to get to know him more and learn his schemes more and all that.”

One aspect of Evero’s job that is a bit different than some of the other position coaches is how closely he’ll be working with cornerbacks coach Aubrey Pleasant. In any defensive set, the corners and safeties must work in tandem. Pleasant and Evero know this and are already on the same page when it comes to setting up how they’ll implement Phillips’ scheme.

Read Complete Article
[www.therams.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill792February 24, 2017 02:44PM

Re: Evero Beginning Work with Rams Safeties

SoCalRAMatic316February 25, 2017 05:27AM