Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sean Mannion may start for Rams if Jared Goff (concussion) can't play

December 19, 2016 05:06PM

Alden Gonzalez

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff was still in concussion protocol and remained day-to-day on Monday, with the Los Angeles Rams still uncertain if their rookie quarterback can go in Saturday's home game against the San Francisco 49ers. If Goff isn't ready by then, the Rams may turn to Sean Mannion, a third-round pick in 2015 who has spent almost his entire career confined to the bench.

With Case Keenum a free agent at season's end, the Rams -- 4-10 after losing nine of their past 10 games -- would like to see what they have in Mannion before the year wraps up.

"Case has performed well when required," Rams interim coach John Fassel said, "but it would be good for the team to get a look at Sean and see what he can do if pressed into service by necessity."

Goff took a vicious hit from Richard Sherman in the fourth quarter of the Rams' 24-3 loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday night, prompting him to exit immediately. Goff seemed fine to teammates in the aftermath of that game, but would have to pass several tests before being deemed ready to play under the NFL's concussion protocol. Players must complete a five-step process that includes rest and recovery, light aerobic exercise, continued aerobic exercise and introduction of strength training, football-specific activities, and then full football activity/clearance.

Goff was with the team during their walk-through workout at the facility on Monday, taking part in all the meetings, but his status remains unclear. The Rams would ideally know by Thursday, their final practice of the week.

Regardless, it sounds as if they are committed to keeping Keenum inactive and having Mannion spend these last two weeks at least as a backup.

"Obviously that would be a great opportunity for me," Mannion said. "I’ve honestly been preparing for that all year."

Read Complete Article
[www.espn.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill779December 19, 2016 05:06PM

Sean Mannion, on His Improvements Since the Draft

RamBill370December 19, 2016 05:20PM

Re: Sean Mannion, on His Improvements Since the Draft

poplarbluffman249December 20, 2016 01:46AM

This is a prime opportunity to see what Mannion has as a QB

GreatRamNTheSky390December 19, 2016 09:34PM

Re: This is a prime opportunity to see what Mannion has as a QB

LMU93227December 20, 2016 04:32AM

"...maybe Mannion lights it up...."

73Ram272December 20, 2016 04:47AM

Re: I would love to have 2 young guns in camp next season....

oldschoolramfan267December 20, 2016 06:44AM

73Ram264December 20, 2016 07:35AM

poplarbluffman261December 20, 2016 07:35AM

kw13202December 20, 2016 09:53AM

Killrazor226December 20, 2016 09:49AM