Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Article: Will Rams emerge from round one with a quarterback?

April 25, 2024 01:36PM
Will Rams emerge from round one with a quarterback?

By
Mike Florio

Published April 25, 2024 03:25 PM

The Rams haven’t used a first-round pick since trading up from No. 15 to No. 1 in 2016 to pick a quarterback? Will they emerge from tonight’s draft with another quarterback?

That’s one of the biggest questions hovering over tonight’s festivities.

The Rams currently hold the 19th pick. They have Matthew Stafford under contract through 2026. They owe Stafford $31 million this year, fully guaranteed. Of his $32 million compensation package in 2025, $10 million is already guaranteed.

If they pick a quarterback, questions instantly would emerge regarding Stafford. The Rams possibly would activate an Alex Smith plan, with the rookie sitting for a year and taking over in 2025.

It wouldn’t be a complete surprise. After the 2022 season, the Rams were hoping for a trade offer for Stafford, even if they would vehemently deny it. (Remember when Kevin Demoff said the Rams never asked Stafford to re-do his contract last year, and then Stafford said they did?)

If the Rams are eyeballing one of the potential first-round quarterbacks, they’ve managed to keep it close to the vest. Earlier today, Dianna Russini of TheAthletic.com reported that the Rams are making calls about a potential trade into the top 10.

Given the strong likelihood that quarterbacks Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, and Drake Maye will go No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3, the most likely target for a top-10 move would be J.J. McCarthy.

Such a move, if it happens, would possibly if not probably entail giving up next year’s first-round pick. Ending the team’s streak of actually using first-round picks at one.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Article: Will Rams emerge from round one with a quarterback?

Ramsdude71April 25, 2024 01:36PM

Re: Article: Will Rams emerge from round one with a quarterback?

LaDoc27April 25, 2024 01:39PM

Out of curiosity...Where would Goff have ranked?

Atlantic Ram30April 25, 2024 01:49PM

No. Les Snead just said as much on NFLN

JYB51April 25, 2024 01:50PM

Glad to hear that

Ramsdude37April 25, 2024 01:59PM

Re: Glad to hear that

JYB31April 25, 2024 02:15PM

Exactly

Ramsdude26April 25, 2024 02:33PM

Re: Exactly

JYB15April 25, 2024 02:55PM

Re: No. Les Snead just said as much on NFLN