Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2-round mock draft: Rams trade back, land 3 defenders in top 53…

April 14, 2024 06:40AM
2-round mock draft: Rams trade back, land 3 defenders in top 53

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Les Snead and the Los Angeles Rams are known for trading back and accumulating picks in the NFL draft, and they’ll have a chance to do once again this year. Already sitting with 11 picks, the Rams are a prime candidate to trade back from No. 19 to add even more selections on Days 2 and 3.

In our NFL Wire mock draft, that’s exactly what I did as the GM of the Rams. I traded back three spots from No. 19 to 22 and still landed Laiatu Latu in Round 1.

Trade details:

Rams receive Nos. 22 and 53
Eagles receive Nos. 19 and 83
This would be a pretty ideal scenario for the Rams, who trade down three spots and move up 30 spots on Day 2 in the process. Not to mention, they land a player who should be one of their top targets in Latu. With Aaron Donald retired, the Rams need pass-rush help badly and Latu is one of the top edge rushers in the class. There could be some concerns about his injury history but he’s a Day 1 starter on a defense that could use a lot of talent.

The Rams don’t technically gain a pick in this trade, but they move up 30 spots from No. 83 to 53, giving them back-to-back selections in Round 2 at No. 52 and 53. That’s a home run for a team that could use help at multiple positions.

With the 52nd pick, I grabbed some secondary help by drafting Rutgers corner Max Melton. He’s a talented cornerback capable of playing outside or in the slot, which gives the Rams some flexibility on defense. Melton could compete right away with Quentin Lake for snaps inside or potentially allow the Rams to move White into the slot on some plays.

At No. 53, I added some defensive line help with Florida State defensive tackle Braden Fiske. He’s a terrific athlete with good upside, and he’d help fill the void left by the now-retired Aaron Donald.

The Rams would probably be thrilled with a haul of Latu, Melton and Fiske in the first two rounds, even if it is defense-heavy.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

2-round mock draft: Rams trade back, land 3 defenders in top 53…

Rams43105April 14, 2024 06:40AM