Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mental toughness in the pocket and ability to stretch the field

April 13, 2024 12:01PM
Those are the two things I'd prioritize. It isn't easy to win from the pocket when the rush is trying to tee off on you. Producing consistently on a short mental clock is demanding, it's draining I am sure, and some guys simply aren't wired to do it. So that toughness in the pocket cannot be taught and by extension it is something I prize quite highly with QBs.

And the other element is being able to stretch the field. This goes hand in hand with the toughness part of the equation. You gotta have enough arm and accuracy in that regard.

McVay has gone on record saying he doesn't want to live underneath in the pass game. So whoever they target, if that QB is being considered for a starting role down the line, he will have those two abilities and if he does not have those abilities then he will not survive under McVay as a starter. Only QB who I think has the right stuff and may end up being on the board for us is Penix, and he has injury risk flags as well as we'd need to take him too high given that we don't need a starting QB for this season. So only way he'd be in play is if his injuries are cleared by the Rams and they are more worried about Stafford's health than they are letting on. I'd say them looking for a starter is a longshot. Very long.

Where it gets more open is the backup role. I expect that is moreso what the Rams will be considering. Now there you can settle for a bit less arm. Maybe go with a guy who lacks accuracy, or other key qualities but you like his work ethic, attitude, and raw skills. But if they do go with a backup my preference has not changed: Sam Hartman. He has a high volume of snaps and experience at QB and the type of production I value. He is accurate underneath and can put the ball on guys over the middle on time and on the money. Not a starter. But in the role of a cheap option to come off the bench and distribute the ball underneath, and who you can get from that 5th round pick or later, that is where he has value.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Which QB’s are a fit for Rams to draft?

Rams43105April 13, 2024 05:17AM

Mental toughness in the pocket and ability to stretch the field

merlin46April 13, 2024 12:01PM