Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Judge & Jury: Is Aaron Donald the Greatest Player in Rams' History?

March 20, 2024 10:50AM
[talkoffametwo.com]

It's Aaron Donald Week on the Talk of Fame Two, with this simple question. Our jury returned an immediate verdict.

Each week the Talk of Fame Two consults historians and/or media members for answers to the Question du Jour. After hearing from them, a judge – in this case, Hall-of-Fame voter Clark Judge -- renders a verdict based on their responses. This week we checked in with a jury of historians and former Hall-of-Fame voters with this timely question:

Q: Is Aaron Donald the greatest Ram of all time?

THE JURY

IRA MILLER, former Hall-of-Fame voter, San Francisco.

“I think the real question is how would Aaron Donald and Deacon Jones have performed in each other’s era? I’d say flip a coin.”

KEN CRIPPEN, founder and lead instructor, The Football Learning Academy.

“Recency bias will have Aaron Donald as the greatest Rams’ player of all-time. Personally, I still have Deacon Jones as the greatest Rams’ player of all-time. That does not mean that Donald is not in the conversation. But Jones is the greatest, in my opinion.”

BRYAN FRYE, pro football historian and researcher.

“The Rams have no shortage of all-time great players on both sides of the ball. However, with all due respect to legends like Van Brocklin, Slater, Dickerson, and Faulk, I believe the Rushmore of Rams includes four defensive linemen. Deacon Jones was a pass rushing phenom who once recorded 115.5 sacks in an 84-game span and was among the best ever at chasing down a run from the backside. While Jones got the numbers, teammate Merlin Olsen may have been even better. He was a fortress against the run, got plenty of pressure in his own right and gobbled up double teams like Pac-Man. The consistently underrated Jack Youngblood might as well have changed his mailing address to opposing backfields, such was his prowess at sacking passers and dropping backs for a loss. A late career switch to a 3-4 didn't seem to slow him down one bit. Newest isn't always best, but I believe it is in this case. Aaron Donald was the best defensive tackle in football as a rookie and remained on top of the pack until injury caused him to miss time in his ninth season. He drew double and triple teams at a nigh-unfathomable rate and still managed to pressure quarterbacks so frequently that the media had to resort to comparing him to edge rushers, because he outpaced his interior peers by such a wide margin. I believe Donald was not just the best defender in the league, but the best player in the league in at least half of his seasons—and he managed to do it in the most offense-friendly environment in NFL history.”

JACK SILVERSTEIN, Chicago’s sports historian.

“Yes.”

JIM CAMPBELL, pro football researcher/historian and co-author of “Hell With the Lid Off,” a story of the intense Raiders-Steelers rivalry of the 1970s.

"At the risk of ignoring Hall-of-Famers Bob Waterfield and Elroy 'Crazy Legs' Hirsch, Merlin Olsen and Jack Youngblood, I agree with those who place the laurel wreath upon Aaron Donald's head. It can be argued that he delivered a Vince Lmobardi Trophy to the franchise single-handedly. His ability to produce the biggest play at the biggest moment was unmatched. So, yes, he's the greatest (apologies to Muhammad Ali)."

NICK CANEPA, former Hall of Fame voter, San Diego.

“I certainly have no problem with Donald, and I've seen him play plenty in that the Rams have spent so much time on San Diego TV since I was a child. But I have to think the greatest Ram is Marshall Faulk. One of the best all-around backs. Great runner and pass catcher and so football smart he was a coach on the field, He was a league MVP and Super Bowl MVP _ and might have been twice had Mike Martz remembered Marshall was on his roster in that Super Bowl.”

UPTON BELL, former NFL executive and son of former NFL commissioner Bert Bell.

“Bob Waterfield. Norm Van Brocklin. Tom Fears. ‘Crazy Legs’ Hirsch. The Baby Elephant Backfield. The Fearsome Foursome. Deacon Jones. Merlin Olsen. Lamar Lundy. Rosie Grier. Jack Youngblood. Eric Dickerson. How many stars are there in the universe? This is a brief list of the Rams who were originally Hollywood’s team. I first saw many of them in the 1940’s and early 50’s. I’ve seen everyone since then, and there is no question that Aaron Donald belongs among these immortals and is one of the greatest linemen of his time. But is he the greatest Ram of all time? I don’t think so. Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen and Eric Dickerson are my Top 3.”

GEORGE BOZEKA, president, Pro Football Researchers Association.

“Aaron Donald is not my choice for the greatest Ram ever. I'm going old school. My choice is Bob Waterfield. During his eight-year Hall-of-Fame career, Waterfield led the Rams to four NFL championship games; winning two. Waterfield was a great all-around athlete. In addition to his quarterbacking duties, he was also the Rams' punter and kicker, plus he played defensive back with 20 career interceptions. Waterfield was named first team All-Pro three times and to the Pro Bowl twice. He was the NFL's MVP in 1945, and he was named to the NFL's 1940s all-decade team. Married to Hollywood sex symbol Jane Russell, the Los Angeles Times once stated that Waterfield’s life read “like a Marvel comic book. He was Captain America and the mighty Thor rolled into one, a real-life superhero who rewrote the record book, won the big game and got the girl -- a movie star, no less.”

THE VERDICT

Because this question spans generations, I wanted an historical perspective -- which is another way of saying I wanted to hear from historians and former Hall voters who might have seen the Rams’ greats from the 1950s or ‘60s. That way, we could gain a response that wasn’t stained by what Ken Crippen accurately calls “recency bias.”

Result? Mission accomplished.

As every juror pointed out, Aaron Donald is worthy of consideration. That’s why the question was posed. But all but Jack Silverstein and Jim Campbell either chose others or included Donald among them, with Deacon Jones a popular pick ... and that's understandable. There have been so many stars in the Rams' orbit that they could create their own Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Aaron Donald is just the latest.

But the question in front of us is direct: Is he the best ever? Better than Watefield and Van Brocklin? Bette than Olsen and Deacon? Better than Dickerson and Faulk? That’s a mighty steep hill to climb, yet Donald is equipped to do it. His resume is unassailable, from his eight first-team All-Pros ... to his 10 Pro Bowls ... to his three Defensive MVPs … to his all-decade choice ... to a league championship. There is nothing Aaron Donald did not conquer in 10 NFL seasons.

Until now.

Look, Aaron Donald was the best defensive player of his era, and he might be the best defensive tackle of all time. In fact, when historian John Turney measured him against the all-time greats at his position on this site Tuesday, he concluded that, yes, as a matter of fact, Aaron Donald was the greatest defensive tackle ever.

But the greatest Ram of all time? Our jury tells a different story. It included him among the franchise greats but, with two exceptions, failed to choose him as the best ever … which has more to do with the litany of luminaries who pulled on Rams’ jerseys than it does Donald.

Aaron Donald was a preternatural athlete who's a first-ballot cinch for Canton and one of the best defensive players in NFL history. But the greatest Ram ever? You heard our jury. No, he's not ... and that's OK. Because he's one of them.

Court adjourned

Clark Judge

Sports Illustrated Media Group
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

JimYoungblood5376March 20, 2024 10:50AM

that's a great discussion

21Dog45March 20, 2024 03:31PM

yeah, he is probably right there as greatest Ram

JimYoungblood5322March 20, 2024 04:14PM

He's 1A at the very worst. All the while playing with his hands tied....almost literally.

Ramgator21March 20, 2024 04:18PM