Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A little Jourdan on Wentz…

March 16, 2024 06:06AM
kw13
I seem to recall we had an interest in Jimmy G when he left San Fran. McVay likes him. (Aside from the system familiarity).

So I'm guessing McSnead would have signed Wentz, but was just waiting to see if Jimmy G would come available before signing Wentz.

Could have been more factors. I'm guessing Wentz was wanting 4 or 5 million, which is fair, and Garroppolo may have got something in that ballpark, so all things being equal, Garrapolo is preferred by McVay.

I have to be honest. One of my hopes last year was that somehow we clinch the wild card and Wentz would get to play. I was always a Wentz over Goff guy.

I even hoped maybe there was a scenario where he backs up Stafford for a year, maybe 2 and eventually gets in there for a few games and keeps the job and who knows...

But after seeing him play, and although I was impressed, I also kind of saw that maybe he is not the guy. I know he didn't have a ton of time to learn our playbook, but had 5 or 6 weeks. I just don't think he fits McVay.

So I think Jimmy G is a better option to fill in if needed.

Still, in an alternate universe, the Wentz thing was cool.

Great Post as I was a Wentz guy over Goff too and ecstatic when they signed him, however, I felt differently the way he played. IMO, he had not been practicing on a team for most of the year until the Rams signed him and in the only game he played, he had two extraordinary throws for touchdowns to Puka & Tyler Johnson plus a great throw to Hopkins on 3rd & 15 and another nice toss to Atwell on the two point conversion.

Now I thought considering he was not with a team until like late October I though he played well and I agree my feeling was that maybe he could take over if Stafford after maybe one more year retired or something like that. Wentz offered the perfect contrast to Stafford, he was actually bigger and was better at extending plays, however, not as good with pinpoint passing, but there were other attributes.

As to Jimmy Garoppolo, yes he will be a good backup, but like Wentz, durability is questionable and it seems he does shrink in big situations. I felt with Carson Wentz, the Rams could not only win games in the regular season, but post season too. As for Garoppolo, I am not that confident, but like you so astutely communicated, McVay likes Garoppolo and that is all that matters now.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A little Jourdan on Wentz…

Rams43809March 15, 2024 02:35PM

Totally agree

Stafford9187March 15, 2024 02:43PM

Still wanted Wentz

den-the-coach148March 15, 2024 03:19PM

really not a fan of Jimmy G the person

ferragamo79143March 15, 2024 03:36PM

Re: really not a fan of Jimmy G the person

Shecky61March 16, 2024 02:41AM

Re: really not a fan of Jimmy G the person: Same here gamo79