Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good listen. I know some don't like Demoff, I do

January 10, 2024 12:32AM
I think the interview brings out a number of great points.
My highlights are:
1) This trade was good for both teams. As Demoff said, in the end that's rare.
2) The new Lions DNA is kin to the Rams DNA because of Brad Holmes being in both camps.
3) You don't win big in the NFL unless you write a different script than all the other teams. You can't just do what everyone else does, but just do it better.
4) Goff was very well liked by the organization (what wasn't mentioned is that obviously McVay didn't like him very much).
5) Trade happened really fast. Several teams interested in Stafford including the Commanders, the Colts, and a couple of others he named. It happened with the Rams because of the close relationship between Holmes and Snead, and Holmes really believed Goff was still a good NFL starting QB.

The thing I love about the Snead/McVay era is that they get it. They reach for the moon. They think outside the box. Their drafts go outside the box. They don't follow NFL metrics. Think about the hiring of McVay....talk about outside the box. And, just look at this draft. Most draft gurus said Turner and Young were reaches. Why? Because it didn't fit their big boards of names. Most draft boards had Nacua as a 6th rounder who would never be more than a possession type WR and probably always a sub. But when you hear that clip play on draft day when Snead and McVay and his roomful of scouts are talking about maybe making this pick, you hear exactly that out of the box thinking....forget the 40 time the guy is fast on the football field. He's not flashy, but he is a rock solid player who will be where he's supposed to be for the QB, runs good routes, tough as nails, a really good football player that loves the game, a family oriented guy, family has NFL DNA.

Think about how they retooled this team on the fly in 1 season, and how McVay reimagined the offense knowing exactly what he wanted to do, and Snead getting him the guys to do it. The way they took a big hit for one year in the salary cap so that they could clear it and have substantial amounts for the next off season.....yet still got 10 wins and a playoff berth.

Then, look around the league and see what other teams do. Most follow the same NFL formula, taking the same type of coaches, always picking up retreads, drafting the same way, etc. And, the results are predictable.

The Rams must be one of the 2 or 3 most admired teams in the NFL, with some of the best FO chemistry you'll find. A great owner, and a team President who lets his football guys make those acquisition decisions. Look at the other teams and several have owners and team Presidents that think they must have a say in player acquisitions, the way the team is built, etc. Or there are internal power struggles. They will nix their coaches that they like from taking another job elsewhere. The Rams promote their coaches and are happy for them to move on to higher positions on other teams, and so the Rams are raided every year for coaching.

I'm just so impressed by these guys. I'm an NFL fan, and Rams fan, for 62 years. I've seen a lot. This is the best FO combo they've ever had.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Peter Schaeger interviews Kevin Demoff

RamsFanSince69268January 09, 2024 09:06PM

Good listen. I know some don't like Demoff, I do

RockRam131January 10, 2024 12:32AM

I like Demoff, Just not his uniforms.

den-the-coach109January 10, 2024 03:27AM

Re: Great Summary

RamsFanSince6971January 10, 2024 03:05PM