Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It was 3-sky, rotated out of a 2/4 look

December 26, 2023 09:38PM
Classicalwit
This is great, Jim.; thank you. It's hard to see what's developing on the back end on the broadcast views.

I don't know why Johnson made the decision to help the deep weak 1/4 as it looked like his primary responsibility should have been the deep strong 1/2, so he left the WR a lot of space to operate in. Then again, Durant played the 1 from an inside position, so maybe Johnson expected him to win based on that leverage.

Johnson had the middle 1/3 ... and he capped the post route ... Lake matched the #2 strong receiver ... the #1 receiver to each side ran go routes....so concept in the old Martz system was 989 with the TE and RB running flat routes.

The CBs were matched to the #1 received in MEG coverage in case of Durant and probably MOD for Spoon

MEG is "man everywhere he goes", MOD is "Man outside and deep". However, it's possible that Spoon had MEG, as well. Actually, both CBs began in outside leverage but properly funneled their guys outside, using the sideline as their friend...

Johnson saw the post as the most dangerous threat so he capped that route. Spoon and Durant, whether MRG or MOD were matched the the #1, Fuller rotation from the cover 2/4 look to the weak flat...where he matches to the #2 if he stays outside. If he'd have gone inside then the Rozenbood would have matched him, probably with help from Fuller. Hoecht drops to the strong flat, replacing Jones who dogged

SO, really there is a double team on the post--Lake trailing and Johnson up top. There is a double team on the 9 routes ... the player inside and the sideline outside. Durant, IMO, just got physically outmatched by a bigger, stronger player. He was there but lost the rebound like a point guard would lose one to the forward.

I suppose of the #2 receiver Lake took ran an out, rather than a post then Johnson would have capped one of the two 9 routes but he had to take the threat to the MOF, I think ...

That's how I see it anyway...you can take a look

vid
[x.com]

stills

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Why Don't The Rams Play More Match Coverages?

Classicalwit242December 25, 2023 05:11PM

Re: Why Don't The Rams Play More Match Coverages?

Ram_Ruler99December 25, 2023 05:53PM

Classicalwit109December 25, 2023 06:38PM

Ram_Ruler70December 25, 2023 06:58PM

21Dog58December 26, 2023 06:04AM

People get beat playing Match just like they get beat

JimYoungblood5385December 25, 2023 07:11PM

It's almost all they do.

JimYoungblood5395December 25, 2023 07:09PM

Re: It's almost all they do.

Classicalwit60December 26, 2023 08:20PM

It was 3-sky, rotated out of a 2/4 look Attachments

JimYoungblood5359December 26, 2023 09:38PM