Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

5 big questions for Rams vs Seahawks in Week 11…

November 18, 2023 05:08AM
5 big questions for Rams vs. Seahawks in Week 11

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

The Seattle Seahawks swept the Los Angeles Rams last season, but it’ll be the Rams trying to return the favor in 2023. Having already beaten the Seahawks in Week 1, 30-13, the Rams will attempt to make it two in a row on Sunday when they host their division rivals at SoFi Stadium.

Matthew Stafford is back from his brief absence due to a thumb injury, but the Seahawks also have Devon Witherspoon and Jamal Adams, who each missed Week 1. At 6-3, the Seahawks are tied for the division lead but the Rams can cut into that deficit with a win on Sunday.

To preview the game, we caught up with Seahawks Wire editor Tim Weaver and asked him five big questions for Sunday’s showdown.

What’s the biggest difference between the Seahawks now compared to Week 1?

Seahawks Wire: There are a lot of things that have changed, but the biggest one is how much they have improved defensively. Clint Hurtt, Bobby Wagner and a few other guys up front deserve some of the credit, but rookie cornerback Devon Witherspoon is the real game-changer. He did not play Week 1 but since he made his debut the following game this has been one of the league’s best defensive units – not counting their collapse in Baltimore. Witherspoon might be the NFL’s best cornerback already and he’s helped inspire the rest of the defense to up their game, as well.

Are the Seahawks legitimate contenders in the NFC with Geno Smith at QB?

Seahawks Wire: Yes, with one notable exception. Geno Smith is still performing at a top-10 level, even with his recent rash of turnovers. It’s kind of who he is at this point, but the team is still good enough and balanced enough overall to be real dangerous in the playoffs. Also, Smith’s mistakes are a relatively low percentage of his throws overall. I think they can beat any team in the NFC with the exception of the Eagles – they just don’t have enough firepower at the line of scrimmage on either side. They definitely have enough to beat the Lions, Cowboys or 49ers in the divisional round if it comes to it, though.

Who’s an underrated player the Rams should know about?

Seahawks Wire: Second-year edge rusher Boye Mafe is the easiest answer there. While Seattle couldn’t get to Matt Stafford in Week 1 their pass rush has dramatically improved ever since and Mafe is the biggest reason why. Mafe has posted sacks in seven straight games and he practically lives in the backfield. He’s not getting double-teamed yet, but that will change and when it does there should be a lot more opportunities for the rest of the front-seven, especially now that Leonard Williams is part of the group.

Is there a weakness for the Seahawks that can be exploited?

Seahawks Wire: I don’t know if the Rams have to do much to exploit it, but the Seahawks are atrocious on third down again this year. Despite all the talent they have at wide receiver, quarterback and a supposedly creative offensive coordinator they just don’t have anything that works in obvious passing situations – third and long is a guaranteed punt at this point. If the Rams can consistently keep them behind schedule on first and second down they’re toast.

Who wins on Sunday and why?

Seahawks Wire: My brain says the Rams will find a way to win this one – given what we know about Sean McVay and how this team has matched up against him historically. That said, it seems like the Rams are struggling right now and McVay doesn’t have 6 months to gameplan for this one like the season opener, so I’m going with my heart. Seahawks 24, Rams 23.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

5 big questions for Rams vs Seahawks in Week 11…

Rams4346November 18, 2023 05:08AM