Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: For those who want a TOP QB BEFORE the O line and play calling is fixed, I ask....

November 05, 2023 03:42PM
Ramgator
Does anyone recall what Steve Young accomplished in Tampa ? Me neither!

Steve Young played in Tampa? I don't remember that. All I remember pre-Niner was the LA Express.

But to address what I think is your real question...

1) Provided that the Rams extend Kevin Dotson, I think that they are well on their way to solidifying their OL.

Yes, they need a center and LT. But I think/hope we should be able to find a starting C in the middle rounds of the draft and (maybe) a bridge LT in FA.

2) Though a lot of people are down on him today, I've begun to see SOME maturation from McVay this off-season that I hope will lead to him hiring/allowing a OC to call the plays for him.

The maturation I've seen is his acceptance that the team needed to get more physical along the OL by drafting Avila and trading for Dotson. This is a clear break from him wanting flex-linemen (i.e. those who, in theory, could interchange between G and T). It took him a few years to get there, but I think he's on his way.

The 2nd example is his transition to more gap-running schemes. Kyren Williams, Darrell Henderson, Royce Freeman...they've all had success running the ball with it (provided that McVay has decided to run it).

Those are a couple of areas where I think the coach has shown the ability to "let go" a little bit and giving up play-calling is the next step for him.

And I think that you'll see a lot of this nonsense (e.g. jet-sweeps to Skowronek on 3rd & inches) go away.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

For those who want a TOP QB BEFORE the O line and play calling is fixed, I ask....

Ramgator236November 05, 2023 03:18PM

Re: For those who want a TOP QB BEFORE the O line and play calling is fixed, I ask....

303072November 05, 2023 03:27PM

I agree

NewMexicoRam78November 05, 2023 03:31PM

ramBRO92November 05, 2023 03:42PM

I sure hope #2 happens!

Ramgator63November 05, 2023 03:45PM

the 3rd and inches run to Skow

Speed_Kills59November 05, 2023 06:38PM

Young owes his career to Walsh.

Ridgewood Ram63November 05, 2023 06:40PM

He played fairly well in the USFL too.

Ramgator39November 06, 2023 07:31AM

John Hadl was his Head Coach in the USFL

den-the-coach42November 06, 2023 08:11AM