Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stafford reminded everyone just how tough (and clutch) he is vs Colts…

October 01, 2023 02:19PM
Matthew Stafford reminded everyone just how tough (and clutch) he is vs. Colts

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

There are only six players in NFL history with more game-winning drives in their career than Matthew Stafford. He moved into seventh place all-time in that category on Sunday by leading the Rams to a dramatic overtime win over the Colts, tying Hall of Famer Brett Favre with 43 in his career. Two of the players ahead of Stafford are already Hall of Famers, and the others – Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger – are all locks for Canton. Matt Ryan has a case for the Hall, too.

Stafford put together a vintage performance against the Colts, both from a clutch and toughness perspective. In the second half, Stafford suffered a hip injury that clearly hindered him after every play. It limited the offense dramatically, but Stafford battled through and stayed in the game.

He even assured everyone after the game that he’ll be on the field next Sunday against the Eagles, showing no doubt that he can play through the issue, regardless of how painful it looked against Indianapolis.

Sean McVay marveled at Stafford’s toughness following the win, too. He praised his guts and resilience no matter the pain he was dealing with, something that’s “in alignment with who he’s been throughout his career.”

There are probably very few quarterbacks in league history who have dealt with and played through the number of injuries Stafford has, and Sunday was just the latest example. As soon as he arrived in Los Angeles in 2021, he revealed all of the injuries he played through in 2020 with the Lions.

“I mean, this past year was bad,” he said. “I had the partially torn UCL in my right thumb, I tore my UCL on my left elbow on the second to last play of the Houston game that nobody knew about, trying to stiff arm a guy. That’s why I started wearing a sleeve on my left arm because I had all sorts of tape underneath it, just to hold it in place.

“I broke my cartilage on my eighth rib in Green Bay. I also tore something (in the back of) my left knee. And then I had a subtalar, right ankle sprain.”

If that isn’t toughness, I don’t know what is.

Stafford is always willing to battle through whatever pain he’s feeling, and to come through with a clutch, game-winning drive in overtime makes it that much sweeter. The Rams are fortunate to have him as their quarterback, counting on him to be out there each and every week – even if he’s not 100%.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Stafford reminded everyone just how tough (and clutch) he is vs Colts…

Rams4398October 01, 2023 02:19PM