Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preferred way to construct your franchise

September 25, 2023 07:41AM
First off let me say that neither of the options I am about to list out are easy, both require a front office making good decisions and fair amount of luck but which was is the preferred way to build a franchise for the long haul.

1) The good everywhere but the QB model. Right now the Niners are operating under this model they have elite players in many high valued positions and are able to keep them their because the most high valued spot the QB they just plug in competent but low cost players. The benefit being with elite players at many high valued positions you don't need a high value qb to lead the team, just a competent game manager that can get better over time ala Brady with the Patriots or Wilson with the Seahawks. Then you can either resign that QB at a higher rate and change your setup or be true to it and trade the developed qb for more assets and bring in another competent low cost game manager and keep all of your elite players.

2) The Chiefs model (which is seemingly the Rams model). The Chiefs are the closest thing to a dynasty right now and the model they have chosen to employ is the elite hall of fame QB, the elite offensive playmaker and one elite world breaker on defense to pressure the passer. For the Chiefs that is Mahomes, Kelsey and Jones for the Rams it is Starfford Kupp and Donald. The plan then is to fortify the OL to protect the QB and give him time to find the offensive playmaker, then stock the defense with young fast players and hope that you hit on some because the three primary players in question will limit your ability to stack your roster with veteran players so you are best served finding good players on cheap rookie deals.

Now the Chiefs and Rams didn't adhere to this rule when initially winning their titles but they were unable to continue as they were over an extended period of time, Tyreek had to be traded to the Dolphins and Jalen Ramsey, and Robert Woods were let go from the Rams. However in the right situation the Chiefs/Rams model has the flexibility to go get a FA or two to complete the roster to get a ring but the expensive QB limits your ability to retain talent. The problem with the Niners method is that teams can rack up tons of reqular season wins with substandard play at the QB position but teams rarely (can count on one hand) win it all that way. As talented as the Niners are and they are, this method has yet to net them a ring, however if you are somehow lucky to land a Brady or a Wilson with your game manager QB selection you will get two opportunities for a ring on the cheap and then have some majorly hard decisions to make down the line. Either method requires a genius level offensive mind running the show which Shanny, McVay and Andy Reid are all examples of. I heard someone describing what the Chiefs are doing after getting rid of Tyreek, and I realized hey that's what the Rams are doing too. Now getting elite players isn't easy or landing a HoF level QB so Like I said some great personnel decisions and some luck are involved as well but for a school of thought which method is best for sustained run at titles? Now best of all worlds is the elite QB on the cheap rookie deal so you can overpay the surrounding players but how can you get the elite QB in the draft if your team is stacked?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Preferred way to construct your franchise

RamsDynasty77September 25, 2023 07:41AM