Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout QB Reasoning for the draft next year

September 20, 2023 08:39AM
So, there are lots of QBs that are likely to be available coming next year ...

We are going to need a QB at some point.

Best case scenario, we win it all in 24 or 25 and Matt retires, given we have a young QB who has redshirted behind him for a year or two.

We are not going to be drafting top 10 this year. the guys I trust have us drafting 22nd. Seems right.

Im going with their top 6 QBs for this discussion.

1 Maye
2 Williams
16 McCarthy (Note, could go back to school if he thinks he's the 1 overall the following year)
21 Ewers
23 Leonard
35 Sanders

After that, they have a dropoff. I would mention that I have Penix Jr., Hartman, Van Dyke, and Austin Reed also as possibles. The thing I guess that puts Penix and Hartman down is age. That said, I'm not using them for this exercise.

My focus is on "Value of 1st and 2nd round picks vs. Immediate Need."

Obvious candidates for new QB, immediate starter?
AFC ... Could argue for Raiders.
NFC ... Could argue for Vikings only due to Cousins' contract. My gues is he would take a pay cut to get JJ signed.

From everything I've read Murray's contract makes him untradeable. Same with Deshaun should he continue to play poorly.
Little early to cut bait on Fields, but not impossible if they wind up with a top 5 pick.
Sam Howell is playing well, as is Mac Jones. For now. Same with Jordan Love.

Kenny Pickett and Daniel Jones are on unstable ground, but Jones is under contract and Pickett is still young.

Geno is playing well enough. Again, for now.

Goff and Tannehill are followed by Levis and Hooker.

From what I can see, most teams that will be looking, will be looking for 2025.

So how many of these high value QBs go in the first round? I can't see more than 3. Levis slid this year. Like 25 slots. There were 4 QBs last year and the fourth fell out of the first. There are 6 this year, and less spots that need them.

My point?

The value will be there whenever we pick at QB. Personally, I think we could trade down and still get our QB of the future. We could trade out of the first even. And there's even a decent chance with Hartman and Penix's age that they could be had in the 3rd or fourth and still be starters after a couple redshirts. I simply don't care that they're going to be 24 year old rookies.
We could also trade up like Tennesee did last year in round 2.

I have these guys on par with or above Jordan Love as prospects, for reference.

We will have money next year, so we can buy another WR (Tee Higgins, come on over), more D line or Edge. CB.

Maye is my guy and I like Williams a lot. But I believe in a lot of these kids' futures and they'd be quality insurance (that's a dig at you, Stetson) for a year or two and then they'd be the guy.

Anyway, questions and comments welcome.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout QB Reasoning for the draft next year

alyoshamucci357September 20, 2023 08:39AM

As always, thanks Alyo

BC Ramsfan77September 20, 2023 01:22PM

Re: Blinkscout QB Reasoning for the draft next year

azramfan86September 20, 2023 02:39PM

Hartman's stock rides on the game against Ohio State this weekend

NewMexicoRam70September 20, 2023 03:34PM

Re: Hartman's stock rides on the game against Ohio State this weekend

alyoshamucci74September 20, 2023 03:55PM

Nice report.

Ridgewood Ram72September 20, 2023 04:44PM

Rams may need to draft both a potential QB heir apparent AND a backup.

NewMexicoRam52September 20, 2023 05:50PM