Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Agreed, he was focused more on the offense

August 31, 2023 04:01AM
JYB
McVay is an offensive-focused coach, as we all know. There's a fascinating SI article out, which was posted here recently (SI Article) about how he spent the offseason maniacally focused every single day on broadening the offense, incorporating different blocking schemes, taking elements from the Belichick tree and other places and sprinkling it into his system. It was a great read and it's terrific that McVay is trying to expand his horizons.

But I didn't hear any emphasis whatsoever on his spending his offseason days figuring out how to incorporate more complexity and sophistication into his bend-and-then-break soft defense. So, his drive to expand and diversify his offense better work, because this defense is going to be putrid and they will need to win in shootouts this season.

Our offense is the focal point and it showed by the gutting of the defense as priority one. Including the firing of a few of the defensive coaches.

I didn't read anything about his ideas how to add some "complexity" or "creativity" to the defense.

Why not?

Because deep down McVay knows exactly who Raheem Morris is and what he can do and can't do. He sees the lack of creativity. He hears about how soft Morris's scheme is from the media and fans too.

IMO, that's why he went out of his way to mention we need to "grow some friggin b@lls" before the season started. Why else would he phrase it that way? "Grow some friggin b@lls"!

That tells me he might be tired of being soft and wants a change to a more aggressive identity.

I still say that McVay was silently hoping that the Colts were going to hire Morris away because I don't think he wants to fire and humiliate his long time friend. And firing him after being exposed as the softest DC in the NFL, it just might end his career as a DC.

If by some miracle Morris suddenly comes out more aggressive this year, you can bet your bottom dollar that it was McVay's decision and not Morris's.

The problem is that Morris no longer has those 3 hof'ers so it won't be easy to be aggressive with all these new kids. He will have his work cut out for him.

If he can make this group of players into tough hard nosed players instead of retreating pansies and be successful, I might just become a fan of his! beer cheer smiley

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Only 5 defensive players?

Ramsdude348August 30, 2023 01:36PM

Or defense is easier to learn than McVays offense?

NewMexicoRam90August 30, 2023 01:56PM

VERY good point NMR!

Ramsdude74August 30, 2023 02:00PM

Hmmm. Guess I fell into that one!

NewMexicoRam68August 30, 2023 02:09PM

Re: Hmmm. Guess I fell into that one!

SoCalRAMatic59August 30, 2023 02:38PM

Re: Hmmm. Guess I fell into that one!

Classicalwit59August 30, 2023 03:45PM

I actually like Reeder a little bit

Ramsdude60August 30, 2023 03:50PM

Re: I actually like Reeder a little bit