Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMS HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY-comments

August 27, 2023 01:23PM
RAMS HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY
Opening statement
“Congratulations to [Head] Coach [Sean[ Payton and his staff and his group. They did an excellent job
tonight. Really, they were first class in terms of being great hosts for us throughout the course of the
week. It felt like we were able to get a lot of really good work done. Tonight didn’t go the way that we
wanted, but you give credit to Denver, they came out ready to go. We didn’t execute well enough, really in
all three phases, and it will be a learning opportunity for us. It was a chance for a lot of young guys to be
able to get opportunities that maybe they had not had in the first couple of preseason games and like
anything else it is a learning opportunity, and we’ll be able to move forward.”

On the decision to change from QB Stetson Bennett to QB Brett Rypien
“You know we just needed to be able to get something going and wanted to be able to get [QB] Brett
[Rypien] an opportunity to play a little bit, coming back to a place that he had spent some time. We
weren’t getting anything going offensively and felt like we wanted to be able to do that. But all of these
opportunities are learning things. Things that he can grow from talking about Stetson [Bennett] and I know
that we’ll be able to use it the right way, and [Quarterbacks Coach/Pass Game Coordinator] Zac
[Robinson] and [Offensive Coordinator] Mike [LaFleur] put their arms around him, and we’ll continue to
move forward accordingly.”

On the tackle on Broncos WR Marvin Mims, Jr.
“I can see how it looked. It was a jet sweep, [Broncos WR Marvin] Mims [Jr.] was trying to stiff-arm him,
and he was really just trying to be able to get a hold of anything to be able to bring him down. I know [DB]
Tre [Tomlinson] wasn’t intentionally going for that, and it’s something that we’ll be able to learn from. I
hate it for him that he ended up getting kicked out because he could have gotten a lot of opportunities to
get some valuable experience and repetitions. I know [DB] Tre [Tomlinson], I know that wasn’t intentional.
It’s kind of an awkward deal based on just the way the play unfolded in this stiff-arm from an inside-out
pursuit position, and sometimes you get your hands in places that you don’t want to when you’re trying to
just bring a guy down by any means and unfortunately, that’s what occurred, and hopefully [Broncos WR
Marvin] Mims [Jr.] is ok.”

On DB Rashad Torrence leaving the game with his injury
“I think it might have been his MCL, I’m not 100 percent sure yet. I still haven’t gotten a chance to speak
with [VP, Sports Medicine and Performance] Reggie [Scott] yet.”

On if there are any concerns going into the regular season off of this game
“I think you have to look at the tape. I mean, certainly, that’s a humbling night. That’s not a night you ever
want to go through no matter what your approach is. Some of the guys that did play tonight might be guys
that were expected to contribute, and we’ll look at that. I’m always a believer that football is the greatest
team sport that there is. A handful of guys that we will be counting on weren’t out there tonight, and that
was pretty consistent throughout all of our offense, defense and our special teams. But there are some
guys, they got some opportunities that we might be counting on for our 53. So I’ll have to be able to look
at the film, but tonight wasn’t a good night and those are nights that you sometimes have in football. You
have to be able to learn from it and move forward accordingly.

On the kicking game
“I think there are some things that we need to be able to look at and evaluate. That’s just the honest truth
right now.”

On the roster cutdown approaching
“A lot of tough decisions. We’ve really been appreciative of the way that this whole team has worked dayin and day-out. The way that they’ve learned from the good, from some of the things that we wanted to be
able to clean up and then the consistent improvement the growth that’s why tonight you wish, you know,
just better from them. Wanted to be able to see them have a better showing than what ended up
occurring. But we’ll take the next couple of days, and we’ll start to make some decisions probably over
the next 24 hours and then obviously everything will be finalized by Tuesday at 1 p.m. in California.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RAMS HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY-comments

JimYoungblood53177August 27, 2023 01:23PM

Rams postgame notes

JimYoungblood5367August 27, 2023 01:27PM

Things that stand out to me

NewMexicoRam78August 27, 2023 01:53PM